First Joinery Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LancsRick

Established Member
Reaction score
I've done a fair bit of woodwork over the years, but I'd class pretty much everything I've done as either a) building related, or b) turning. I've never really done what I'd consider "proper" joinery.

Since I needed a small set of shelves for my study, I thought I'd change that. In short, I pulled together some white oak shelves, with a number of joinery techniques that were totally unnecessary but were good practice for me. Comments more than welcome, photos and thoughts below...

http://imgur.com/a/KfICu

> Made from American White Oak, planed down to 15mm
> Finished with sanding sealer and microcrystalline wax.
> Corners are dovetails done in a jig
> Little shelf on the top right is a half blind dovetail, all other joints are butt joints.
> Sliding stand on the bottom was an afterthought

- I didn't notice until partway through that my RAS was about 1mm off true over the length of its travel. There's therefore filling present. Really annoying, but hey, this was to learn.
- My attempt at using woodglue + oak dust/shavings looks horrible. Need to come up with a better solution for the future (the best solution of course being not to need it in the first place!)
- Sliding dovetails are really hard to get right. Practice required.
- The verticals for the sliding stand are blind mortise and tenons. I chain-drilled the base because it was too small for me to use my router. I need to make a jig for routing small pieces so they can be held.
- My hand planing got better by the end, but to start with my technique wasn't great and I had the blade set too deeply. Blade marks are evident if you look closer.
- My workshop is small and crowded. Numerous "dings" added to the piece just down to moving it in a cramped environment. Maybe I should claim that it's a deliberate aging effect?
+ On the plus side, everything is plumb square!
+ I've kept decent edges on the planks, as numerous scratches on my hands will testify to
+ I had fun!

Looks very good for a first attempt. White oak sawdust is not suitable for mixing with glue to make fillers, for some reason it turns out black. It's the only wood I know that does that.

Armagh":32kt78fo said:
Looks very good for a first attempt. White oak sawdust is not suitable for mixing with glue to make fillers, for some reason it turns out black. It's the only wood I know that does that.

Well that explains that issue then! Am I best using purchased wood filler for white oak? Thanks for the post :)

Trevsf1":1a943vei said:
I use Timbermate white oak filler. Did a few white oak bookcases and it filled pin heads invisibly

Thanks, where did you get that from? I've got lots of white oak stock so I might as well get some in - a quick Google shows all the suppliers being stateside rather than over here?

I use a mixture of white putty and brown putty, I've also seen the painter in work use Merrels white oak filler. I like the putty because I don't use it often and if it dries out I can mix it up again with some baby oil or something of the like. I'd also considered that if your RAS is fractionally off maybe you should make yourself a shooting board to square up your ends?

Just trying to help. It's a nice piece of work.

Latest posts

Back