First job on my return to my Wood-Retreat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
At last I am feeling more like some bench work. Initially, a project for myself I thought; and I do need a tool chest. My old faithful is straining at the screwed and nailed seams and some of my tools are lying on shelves around the shop. It's a blessing I don't get rust problems. I wondered about the 'anarchist' trad English chest. It is the thing really, but at my age it's no small undertaking. The dovetails don't bother me, but I question my stamina for the venture overall; I need to get the job done sooner rather than later.

So I thought a Dutch Chest would be easier, and quicker. (Wishful thinking maybe?) I've found the cutting list and dimensions online and I have worked out what I need to order.
I need 'shortcuts' and I've settled on laminated pine boards for construction. A bit costly, but there's less preparation. Also I've dovetailed these before, so I know it isn't a problem.
Handwork of course.

Is there anyone working out of a Dutch Chest who can advise generally please?

Thanks in anticipation.

PS. Shall I WIP this project? Once I have a PC which can read my phone camera yes!

John ☺

Once I have a PC which can read my phone camera yes!
Yes please do a WIP.
If you have an android phone, you can set it to upload your photos automatically to your google account, then on the PC you can just open photos.google.com (sign in if necessary) and download the ones you want to the PC.

then on the PC you can just open photos.google.com (sign in if necessary) and download the ones you want to the PC.
Nice tip.
I've been doing things twice, uploading ones I want to one drive.
Always makes me wonder how many simple things I am missing.

And +1 for a WIP

I don't know if I have a Goggle account TBH! I will prolly treat myself to a Windows laptop for Xmas so that will sort the problem. I can WIP with the phone.

John

Nice tip.
I've been doing things twice, uploading ones I want to one drive.
Always makes me wonder how many simple things I am missing.

And +1 for a WIP
I just email myself from my phone (Gmail) and then open the email from my laptop.

Also, the cable the phone came with plugs into PC's USB for direct file transfer. The phone should show up in file manager automatically.

I don't know if I have a Goggle account TBH! I will prolly treat myself to a Windows laptop for Xmas so that will sort the problem. I can WIP with the phone.

John
Apart from very new Huawei phones and Apple iPhones, the rest use Google's Android operating system. If you use an android you have a Google account.

I just email myself from my phone (Gmail) and then open the email from my laptop.

Also, the cable the phone came with plugs into PC's USB for direct file transfer. The phone should show up in file manager automatically.

Why didden I think of that!

John

I've done that as well, one drive is, sorry was, pretty handy.

Thats so 20th century.
:):):)

I made a quick one up out of plywood I had around and used dowels for the joints ( I love my joint genie, so accurate). It was a test to see if I liked it, before I put some money into dovetail and something expensive...I then needed a box for my planes and they fit in really well. Wood box, plus a camphor tablet inside means no rust on planes.
I really, really like the design. My advice is lay all the tools you want in the box on the table and get the measure of the most vertical stacking one first. I have a Japanese file which is just a little too tall to fit, really annoying. Also, the span of your arms what is comfortable to lift ,and weight, unless you are mounting it on a frame with wheels.

I had plans to make one over winter, but can not this year. I had done some drawings, if I find them I will send them to you.

Next search on line for Christopher Schwarz and Dutch box. He really covered the subject well.

I've done that as well, one drive is, sorry was, pretty handy.

Thats so 20th century.
:):):)
I started using computers in 1978. But that doesn't alter the fact that my MAC DESKTOP machine doesn't recognise my phone. When my PC died that was EOS! I have a laptop but it's so slow I could paint the WIP pics faster in oils!

John

Thanks Awac:

Couldn't you mount your file horizontally with the saws?
I am planning for castors and maybe a trolley. If it's too heavy for me to lift essily, then just castors. I don't do site work so no travelling. I need the chest close to my bench so more shelf space is available on the walls.

Latest posts

Back