First import from the EU

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know there were some who wanted updating on making big purchases from the EU so here is mine. The package is currently on it's way. I had to provide a EORI number which took just a few minutes to obtain from the gov.uk website. No problems in making my payment. The dealer is in Greece, the price I have been charged does not specify whether it includes any sales tax, I expect it to be no and have taken that into consideration when negotiating the price so I am expecting to pay at least 20% VAT/Duty when it arrives, we shall see how it goes.

Please don't bring in any Brexit arguments pro or against into this thread, I would like this to be useful information of the process of importing a 4 figure purchase from an EU country.
The commodity code should indicate the duty payable. I was looking for a mountain bike form Andorra and the commodity code said 14% duty - plus the VAT of course.

The commodity code should indicate the duty payable. I was looking for a mountain bike form Andorra and the commodity code said 14% duty - plus the VAT of course.

That assumes the seller uses the correct commodity code of course.

OK so you wont tell us what it is but will you tell us what they claim it is? Otherwise I thinking donkeys for rides when the beaches reopen

@Rorschach, exactly. However there are different ways of importing, you could be the importer and responsible or the receiver and the seller is responsible for paperwork etc. It’s good to check but to be honest most don’t know and is confusing. Either way, if there is a duty to pay you will have to pay before its delivered. I think its suck it and see for now. I imagine some will be ok no duty and some will be caught. That’s what I’m hearing on my mountain bike forum. My wife works at a helicopter company and her team responsible for ensuring critical parts arrive with customers worldwide, civil and military customers. She has had a nightmare for past year and it’s not easing now. An absolute headache for her….:-(

Wil be interesting to see what happens with his delivery

That assumes the seller uses the correct commodity code of course.
Why, do you think they check the commodity code is correct? My son ordered 3D printer filament from London, they were told what it was but customs randomly assigned it to housewares.

I'd rather not say.

Thread is not going to be too helpful to others if you can't even give an indication of what the goods are. The fact that they may be zero rated according to the com code still means there is a duty implication, albeit zero, but docs still have to be raised upon import in the customs declaration. The export declaration should indicate this and indicate if Greek EPA was included. Perhaps your shipper will cover both declarations along with RoO details.

I've just ordered, from China, two replacement air filters with housings for my old compressor .

£5.64 + vat and free delivery.

I don't know how much they would have been before Brexit.

This is the part that caught me out with an item from China.

From gov.uk website.

Changes to VAT treatment of overseas goods sold to customers from 1 January 2021

"The new arrangements will also involve the abolition of Low Value Consignment Relief, which relieves import VAT on consignments of goods valued at £15 or less."
"Online marketplaces (OMPs), where they are involved in facilitating the sale, will be responsible for collecting and accounting for the VAT. "

Brexit has nothing to do with imports from outside the EU 27. The extra effort into collecting VAT and abolition of Low Value Parcels is an HMRC effort as they need the dosh.....

You should find out about the VAT, if it is already paid you should not have to pay again (the principle of VAT is that the end consumer is left with the largest bill). You will, of course, need to prove it.

As the product is being exported from the EU, you may find you can claim the Greek VAT back and pay the UK one. Depending on the size of the order it may or may not be worth the effort

Indeed, pre Jan 1st it was in the CU, now GB are a 3rd country (and customs has nothing to do with the TCA deal). If VAT/GST was paid at source outside GB nobody in HMRC/BF is going to care two hoots and UK VAT will be applied as per normal. Greek EPA is 23% odd and, if it was charged, can be reclaimed once shipping and import declarations are made and goods are with the purchaser but as the OP is not VAT registered it'll have to be on "Tourist terms" rather than any Incoterms/8th Directive and there is no compulsion upon the vendor state to receive or issue documentation in English.

I imagine all with go smoothly although there have been instances of the GB authorities not quite being up to task on many import issues - "how much can we levy on these goods" type of attitude.

Thread is not going to be too helpful to others if you can't even give an indication of what the goods are. The fact that they may be zero rated according to the com code still means there is a duty implication, albeit zero, but docs still have to be raised upon import in the customs declaration. The export declaration should indicate this and indicate if Greek EPA was included. Perhaps your shipper will cover both declarations along with RoO details.

Brexit has nothing to do with imports from outside the EU 27. The extra effort into collecting VAT and abolition of Low Value Parcels is an HMRC effort as they need the dosh.....

Indeed, pre Jan 1st it was in the CU, now GB are a 3rd country (and customs has nothing to do with the TCA deal). If VAT/GST was paid at source outside GB nobody in HMRC/BF is going to care two hoots and UK VAT will be applied as per normal. Greek EPA is 23% odd and, if it was charged, can be reclaimed once shipping and import declarations are made and goods are with the purchaser but as the OP is not VAT registered it'll have to be on "Tourist terms" rather than any Incoterms/8th Directive and there is no compulsion upon the vendor state to receive or issue documentation in English.

I imagine all with go smoothly although there have been instances of the GB authorities not quite being up to task on many import issues - "how much can we levy on these goods" type of attitude.
I totally agree. How can this be helpful if we don’t know what is being imported. Even if we knew a specific commodity classification without knowing actual goods would help.

Take the fifth. lol.

Seriously the actual item makes no difference. it's the process we're interested in.

Of course it makes a difference. The actual item, or at least the com code category, is important as the procedure can and often does differ in many instances.

Did you check to see if you are liable for "Third Country Duty" in addition to VAT...??

This varies depending on what the imported item is.

Doesn't that only apply if the item originated outside the EU? If so, that won't be an issue, the product is manufactured within the EU.

Without admission, we can only suspect the filthiest explanation :)

How does Brexit change costs of shipping goods from China? (As per page 1)

I'm guessing, but your individual little packet will not be sent separately directly to the UK. It will be bulked up with a container full of stuff to somewhere in Europe, possibly Switzerland. Here the bulk delivery will be opened up and the individual packages forwarded on. I will then now be coming from the EU.

Colin

How does Brexit change costs of shipping goods from China? (As per page 1)

I didn't see any post about shipping charges from China on page one.

I got a bit confused with brexit and hmrc rule changes but nothing to do with shipping cost.

You should find out about the VAT, if it is already paid you should not have to pay again (the principle of VAT is that the end consumer is left with the largest bill). You will, of course, need to prove it.

As the product is being exported from the EU, you may find you can claim the Greek VAT back and pay the UK one. Depending on the size of the order it may or may not be worth the effort

Uk has left the EU. You will pay duty and VAT if duty is due. I bought something from Australia cost me duty, vat and clearance.

You will not get any Greek vat back. Uk is now a third world country as regards EU.
Its a nightmare.

Latest posts

Back