First import from the EU

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorschach

Reaction score
I know there were some who wanted updating on making big purchases from the EU so here is mine. The package is currently on it's way. I had to provide a EORI number which took just a few minutes to obtain from the gov.uk website. No problems in making my payment. The dealer is in Greece, the price I have been charged does not specify whether it includes any sales tax, I expect it to be no and have taken that into consideration when negotiating the price so I am expecting to pay at least 20% VAT/Duty when it arrives, we shall see how it goes.

Please don't bring in any Brexit arguments pro or against into this thread, I would like this to be useful information of the process of importing a 4 figure purchase from an EU country.

Likely will be 20% vat, plus the duty import charge, so I would budget for 30% extra.
My first post brexit purchase (from China) over £140 had 20% vat plus £9 customs charge, which had to be paid before goods released to me.

I've just ordered, from China, two replacement air filters with housings for my old compressor .

£5.64 + vat and free delivery.

I don't know how much they would have been before Brexit.

This is the part that caught me out with an item from China.

From gov.uk website.

Changes to VAT treatment of overseas goods sold to customers from 1 January 2021

"The new arrangements will also involve the abolition of Low Value Consignment Relief, which relieves import VAT on consignments of goods valued at £15 or less."
"Online marketplaces (OMPs), where they are involved in facilitating the sale, will be responsible for collecting and accounting for the VAT. "

I know there were some who wanted updating on making big purchases from the EU so here is mine. The package is currently on it's way. I had to provide a EORI number which took just a few minutes to obtain from the gov.uk website. No problems in making my payment. The dealer is in Greece, the price I have been charged does not specify whether it includes any sales tax, I expect it to be no and have taken that into consideration when negotiating the price so I am expecting to pay at least 20% VAT/Duty when it arrives, we shall see how it goes.

Please don't bring in any Brexit arguments pro or against into this thread, I would like this to be useful information of the process of importing a 4 figure purchase from an EU country.

You should find out about the VAT, if it is already paid you should not have to pay again (the principle of VAT is that the end consumer is left with the largest bill). You will, of course, need to prove it.

As the product is being exported from the EU, you may find you can claim the Greek VAT back and pay the UK one. Depending on the size of the order it may or may not be worth the effort

You should find out about the VAT, if it is already paid you should not have to pay again (the principle of VAT is that the end consumer is left with the largest bill). You will, of course, need to prove it.

As the product is being exported from the EU, you may find you can claim the Greek VAT back and pay the UK one. Depending on the size of the order it may or may not be worth the effort

I'm dealing with Greeks so.............

What I am ordering is zero rated for duty so that shouldn't be an issue.
I just shipped a box of 0 rated stuff to myself in Italy from the UK. They do what they want here. £164 worth of bitsnbobs cost me best part of 36 vat, 18 duty and 2% of value for paying it. £70

I just shipped a box of 0 rated stuff to myself in Italy from the UK. They do what they want here. £164 worth of bitsnbobs cost me best part of 36 vat, 18 duty and 2% of value for paying it. £70

That's Italy for you, I have had lots of trouble shipping to/from Italy and all my Italian customers ask me to use special measures because of the corruption.

It is a sad fact that it is virtually impossible to survive in Italy without playing them, and I have Italian blood, at their own game. The entire system is set up on the basis that everyone cheats and unless you cheat as well you will be worse off.

It is a sad fact that it is virtually impossible to survive in Italy without playing them, and I have Italian blood, at their own game. The entire system is set up on the basis that everyone cheats and unless you cheat as well you will be worse off.

Yes that seems to be the case sadly. For me it's just one of those things I have to take into account. As soon as I see where the person is contacting me from I have to change my whole attitude to doing business with them and the supply chain in between. For instance when dealing with the Chinese I have to immediately up my prices by 10-20% when giving a quote, reason being the Chinese absolutely love to haggle and get a bargain, they simply will not be happy and sometimes will not buy unless they get a discount. I have to factor this in before giving a quote then I can pretend they have forced my hand into a discount, they are over the moon and come back again and again, not realising they have paid pretty much the same price as everyone else. Dealing with Brits on the other hand, they feel bad if you offer a discount and sometimes actually pay higher than the asking price out of politeness or send a bottle of Whisky as a thank you! lol.

I used to do the same thing when I was selling to Italy from the UK. Up the price 30% because I knew I'd have to knock something off to keep them happy.

Back