First import from the EU

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s interesting @Jake i read a report recently the french wine producers bemoaning Brexit for a large drop in demand for their wine but if they are not willing to ship to the uk it’s hardly surprising.

That’s interesting @Jake i read a report recently the french wine producers bemoaning Brexit for a large drop in demand for their wine but if they are not willing to ship to the uk it’s hardly surprising.

Well that's interesting!

I can certainly understand a temporary restriction in shipping if there are new bureaucratic processes to deal with, but you would think they would get on top of this as quickly as possible, within a few weeks, in order to get back to selling again.
To complain of a drop in sales from countries that you refuse to sell to seems madness.

Well, it would seem you have found the sunlit uplands that you were promised.....the best of both worlds.
The rest of us will just have to suck it up and get on with it.....
Enjoy!
Without wishing to engage in lazy national stereotypes, I think it's fair to say that in terms of strict adherence to "the rules" the Greeks and Germans are somewhat at the opposite end of the spectrum. Same thing as when that $50 electronics package you order from China turns up with a $2.99 customs value and is listed as "pencils". Order the same sort of stuff from Japan and the paperwork will be at the opposite end of the truth scale.

That’s what I thought after reading Jake’s post but it wasn’t mentioned as a reason in the piece I read.

Try asking this question of a French wine producer & a wine importer here in the UK.....perhaps they will have better insight as to the reason as it would be a business to business transaction.

That’s what I thought after reading Jake’s post but it wasn’t mentioned as a reason in the piece I read.
The problem is that if each individual sale would result in a level of paperwork (and cost) that means it wouldn't be commercially viable (either loss-making if you absorb the costs, or not attractive to buyers if you pass on the costs) then there's no point in doing those sales - but it would still be valid to complain about the drop in sales to that country; given that the additional burden wasn't their fault.

I asked my friend who was an HMRC officer for many years what he thought. His opinion - if EU Countries are insisting on your paying their VAT, they are money grabbing barstewards. They do not have to charge it on exports, they are under no obligation to the UK government to charge it. They manage perfectly well to export to the rest of the world without either charging it or imposing other Countries taxes by proxy. If the UK government want something taxed, it's up to the UK government to tax it.

A few years ago, the EU changed the law on VAT on purchases of under £135/150 euro per consignment from outside the EU.

The new rule is the non-EU retailer charges VAT then sends it to the buyer's goverment. The buyer doesn't pay VAT on import. The rule comes into effect on 1 July 2021, delayed from 1 Jan 2021.

The UK has kept this rule and applied it from 1 Jan 2021, ie the non-UK retailer charges VAT then sends it to the UK goverment. The buyer doesn't pay VAT when they get the goods.

For consignment over £135, there's no change, the non-UK retailer should not charge VAT, but the buyer pays VAT when they get the goods.

No doubt the rules are different business to business purchases.

I tried to do my first yesterday, wine from from a Languedoc vinyard I've bought from for a few years. No go, they no longer ship to the UK, closest they get is to deliver to an agent near Calais for collection.

Well that's interesting!

I can certainly understand a temporary restriction in shipping if there are new bureaucratic processes to deal with, but you would think they would get on top of this as quickly as possible, within a few weeks, in order to get back to selling again.
To complain of a drop in sales from countries that you refuse to sell to seems madness.

How hard is it to import wine into GB? Here's the experience of Daniel Lambert, a Welsh wine importer/merchant who has been writing about his difficulties and problems since Brexit:

Jan 16th
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1350367078662987777.html
Jan 30th
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1355437505642975233.html
Feb 13th
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1360499407716810752.html
Mar 6th
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1368089444679643141.html

How hard is it to import wine into GB? Here's the experience of Daniel Lambert, a Welsh wine importer/merchant who has been writing about his difficulties and problems since Brexit:

Jan 16th
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1350367078662987777.html
Jan 30th
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1355437505642975233.html
Feb 13th
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1360499407716810752.html
Mar 6th
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1368089444679643141.html
Whilst not remotely surprising to read, it enforces the belief that very few of the people campaigning on either side of the leave/remain debate really knew much about trade legalities; but only one side was pushing for huge changes whilst claiming there would be no problems with those changes - and here are the consequences.

Gove, would be funny if he wasn't in government. My favourite thing about him is his mysteriously missing Scottish accent. There are some videos of his earlier speeches where he has a broad scottish accent.
Was he lying then or is he lying now.

Oh wait ! he is always lying.

Ollie

I'm going to email them and see what's up. They may have an issue with their shipper, maybe they can't be arised with the hassle for retail sales.

Jake, sounds devastating, well done for carrying on. I've experienced some terrible stuff but the horror story described is just beyond belief ..............
Remember you're a survivor not a victim ............. on a side note have you tried "thunderbird (red label)" used to do the trick for me.

Jake, sounds devastating, well done for carrying on. I've experienced some terrible stuff but the horror story described is just beyond belief ..............
Remember you're a survivor not a victim ............. on a side note have you tried "thunderbird (red label)" used to do the trick for me.

You sound super tense Bobster.

Gove, would be funny if he wasn't in government. My favourite thing about him is his mysteriously missing Scottish accent. There are some videos of his earlier speeches where he has a broad scottish accent.
Was he lying then or is he lying now.

Oh wait ! he is always lying.

Ollie

What irritates me most about Gove is that when he ran DEFRA, for a brief moment we got to see him earnestly and competenyly working on non-partisan policy that was both actually workable, and something he believed in.

It just makes the return to form that much more galling, knowing we could reasonably expect so much more from the man than what we get.

I received documentation yesterday regarding a box I shipped to myself from UK to Italy. It contained a dozen or so items, I listed the tariff code and value of each item separately. When the agent cleared it they chose 3 items upped the values and net weight so that totals matched those on the invoice, and charged me VAT, duty and 2% in charges based on the items they chose rather than what was in the box. This is the second time this has happened this year.

I received documentation yesterday regarding a box I shipped to myself from UK to Italy. It contained a dozen or so items, I listed the tariff code and value of each item separately. When the agent cleared it they chose 3 items upped the values and net weight so that totals matched those on the invoice, and charged me VAT, duty and 2% in charges based on the items they chose rather than what was in the box. This is the second time this has happened this year.

Begs the question really, why were you honest on the documentation when you knew they weren't going to be honest in their assessment?

The system in Italy appears to be based on the knowledge that people will cheat. The people argue that they cheat because it is the only way to survive/prosper. It's a vicious circle that I suspect will never be broken.

Latest posts

Back