First hollow form

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TFrench

Established Member
Reaction score
I've wanted to have a go at a hollow form for ages, and seeing as I've got endless workshop time at the moment....
Plenty of mistakes made, but it's a learning process, right?
3c79198bdd7c39dc205d34b99ecb53c4.jpg
a408e2e04ed4a49185f42a6ddc74c74c.jpg
d041e325f1595c73aa1311621b22368a.jpg
2697e72fa9d0e59934b2f88f46a38f71.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Well done, a lot accomplished, an attractive end result with attention to detail finishing of beads and base.

You'll need to cut it in half so we can see how well you did on the walls :)

Just kidding, looks really great.

CHJ":am00ajrh said:
Well done, a lot accomplished, an attractive end result with attention to detail finishing of beads and base.
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Chas, it's mainly your comments on finishing details that made me try those beads. Looks much better for it!

Top job! The design is nicely carried out, flowing curve with no obvious flat spots and it looks well hollowed out too, I personally favour no foot on HF's but that is entirely a matter of preference and no criticism of this piece. I like the top bead though, no OTT and adds a nice dimension. I tend to prefer glossy finishes too, using shellac for bare wood.

That looks very nice - clearly a lot learnt and very well executed!

Did you use one of those hollowing tools with a circular ring cutter end? I have just bought one and still getting used to it.

Well done on a first, shape is good.

It is always nerve-racking for the first and the second becomes a little easier.
As you may have already found out plenty of stopping, measuring and carry on in pieces like this

minilathe22":329mk4v0 said:
Did you use one of those hollowing tools with a circular ring cutter end? I have just bought one and still getting used to it.
I used a crown mini revolution for the hollowing.

Latest posts

Back