First French Cleat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnS

Reaction score
Seen them on YouTube so I thought I'd have a crack, and make a little holder for my chisels...
So.. I got it done... Honestly, this is my second project. The first was a 5 sided box (no lid, it stores odds and sods in my shed).
Ok, my standard is about what is expect from my 13 year old if he did a woodwork project at school.
My biggest problem is that I can't cut a straight line. Not even if my life depended on it! Measure, measure, measure, mark it, scribe it, go slow, take your time... Oh cabbage it again! :lol:
My most accurate is with a handsaw. Power tools like a jig saw or circ saw just seen to have a mind of their own..
I don't have a mitre, table saw or bend saw or anything like that (but neither did any carpenter/woodworker or inventer before about 30 years ago!).
However, the French Cleat does work and it is holding my chisel set and a couple of ancient battered one's I want to clean up and sharpen so it is a success and the only way is up from here! :D
uSuTHUYG1d5VGxbY7

Attachments

• IMG_20200509_162252.jpg
    IMG_20200509_162252.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 325
Congrats! You have successfully upset Mike ;)

I want to put some cleats up in my workshop. Tools all over the benches is not a productive way to work!

I have at least already made a sandpaper dispenser using an old bandsaw blade ready to go up once I actually do it.

It's a bit of a different way of thinking for me. Normally if be thinning "where can I buy what I need" but now it's more "how can I make what I need"! Very odd!

So, who is Mike, how did I upset him and should I be worried? :lol:

Everyone has got to start somewhere, nice job, it does exactly what you need it to do. With plenty of practise your sawing will get better and better. :D

JohnS":1go8xuca said:
It's a bit of a different way of thinking for me. Normally if be thinning "where can I buy what I need" but now it's more "how can I make what I need"! Very odd!

So, who is Mike, how did I upset him and should I be worried? :lol:
Ha, a much more talented man than I is what he is! Not a fan of french cleats.

It's all just about practise. I see more and more things indoors that go onto the project list that would be cool to make or nice to do but the list only ever gets longer!

I would personally remove the guards on your chisels, you'll probably cut yourself more often putting them back on that you would just leaving them off

Back