• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

First French Cleat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

JohnS

Reaction score
Seen them on YouTube so I thought I'd have a crack, and make a little holder for my chisels...
So.. I got it done... Honestly, this is my second project. The first was a 5 sided box (no lid, it stores odds and sods in my shed).
Ok, my standard is about what is expect from my 13 year old if he did a woodwork project at school.
My biggest problem is that I can't cut a straight line. Not even if my life depended on it! Measure, measure, measure, mark it, scribe it, go slow, take your time... Oh cabbage it again! :lol:
My most accurate is with a handsaw. Power tools like a jig saw or circ saw just seen to have a mind of their own..
I don't have a mitre, table saw or bend saw or anything like that (but neither did any carpenter/woodworker or inventer before about 30 years ago!).
However, the French Cleat does work and it is holding my chisel set and a couple of ancient battered one's I want to clean up and sharpen so it is a success and the only way is up from here! :D

Attachments

DBT85

Established Member
Reaction score
Congrats! You have successfully upset Mike ;)

I want to put some cleats up in my workshop. Tools all over the benches is not a productive way to work!

I have at least already made a sandpaper dispenser using an old bandsaw blade ready to go up once I actually do it.

JohnS

Reaction score
It's a bit of a different way of thinking for me. Normally if be thinning "where can I buy what I need" but now it's more "how can I make what I need"! Very odd!

So, who is Mike, how did I upset him and should I be worried? :lol:

owen

Established Member
Reaction score
Everyone has got to start somewhere, nice job, it does exactly what you need it to do. With plenty of practise your sawing will get better and better. :D

DBT85

Established Member
Reaction score
JohnS":1go8xuca said:
It's a bit of a different way of thinking for me. Normally if be thinning "where can I buy what I need" but now it's more "how can I make what I need"! Very odd!

So, who is Mike, how did I upset him and should I be worried? :lol:
Ha, a much more talented man than I is what he is! Not a fan of french cleats.

It's all just about practise. I see more and more things indoors that go onto the project list that would be cool to make or nice to do but the list only ever gets longer!

I would personally remove the guards on your chisels, you'll probably cut yourself more often putting them back on that you would just leaving them off

Latest posts