First for a long time

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tazmaniandevil

Established Member
Reaction score
Being a complete amateur, I have mainly been doing practice stuff, roughing out blanks for drying & generally just messing about. Turned a couple of lamps, cruet sets, egg cups & the like.
I saw a video on youtube of a little box being turned, and quite liked the look of it. Having some nice dry beech sitting in the shed, I decided to have a bash.
tealight-holder.jpg

This is it straight off the lathe, no sanding or finish. I think I need to go back and take some more out of the middle of the bottom to make the arc sweep better, and try to eliminate some of the tool marks.
Bearing in mind though, that this was all done without a chuck, I'm fairly pleased.

That's a pretty challenging piece to be starting off with TD, well done I say, bit scary having those wings whirling about for a beginner, (or even someone practiced doing it for the first time).

Glad to see you trying something different, takes nerve to work within the wings. Practise on similar will see the wing thickness reducing and the internal curve smoother.

Chuck or no chuck I personally would not attempt to remount that and put a tool to it, for one it is very unlikely that it will run true and two, even if it did at the mounting point it's for sure that the wings will have moved enough to mis-align themselves due to wood tension relaxing or moisture.

Well done for a beginner that is excellent in fact a lot of long serving turners wouldn't attempt to do something like that keep em coming

Thanks folks. I do admit it was quite scary paying as much attention to the "ghosts" as it was the tools. It's all academic now anyway, t'missus has decided it is to be a tea light holder. The bowl part is just slightly larger than the ornamental tea lights she bought at a craft fair.

Back