First cut in Willow Burl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey folks.
Can anyone advise on the best way to attack this lump of burl.
I don’t have a bandsaw big enough but I may be able to get a yard close to me to help for a small donation.
I do have a chainsaw large enough as well as sharp handsaws.
I’m unsure of the best way to start cutting it. l want to get some boxes or some such out of it and not turn it.
ED46FA0C-A44E-4DB8-8A97-68DEBC7B46E1.jpeg

cheers
Gaff

I think I would just cut the burr off the trunk with a sharp handsaw, you could then pass the cut surface over a planer. Are you sure it is a burr – there aren’t any twigs growing out of it. Ian

Hi Ian
No twigs looks like it could be good 👍 only have a 6” plainer so ld have to take some chunks off it first.
Ive never seen a framed re-saw before. Any idea where one might find one of those? A quick internet search revelled a lot of bandsaws and re-sawn boards.
Cheers
G.

Hi Ian
No twigs looks like it could be good 👍 only have a 6” plainer so ld have to take some chunks off it first.
Ive never seen a framed re-saw before. Any idea where one might find one of those? A quick internet search revelled a lot of bandsaws and re-sawn boards.
Cheers
G.
No sorry Gaff, my point was that burrs normally have a gazillion spines sticking out of them, which is what gives the burr it’s spots- think car dashboard. This is one I did a few years ago you can see the spines on the dark surface underneath which was just under the bark. Ian
B0CDF78C-288D-4FE2-A259-7342CBFE381E.jpeg
02E09518-CB62-4592-92F7-718D1B7E4176.jpeg

No sorry Gaff, my point was that burrs normally have a gazillion spines sticking out of them, which is what gives the burr it’s spots- think car dashboard. This is one I did a few years ago you can see the spines on the dark surface underneath which was just under the bark. Ian
Yep, I've cut a few that look like the op's (no growth shoots), including one that was probably a metre diameter - pretty disappointing inside.

I think I would just cut the burr off the trunk with a sharp handsaw, you could then pass the cut surface over a planer. Are you sure it is a burr – there aren’t any twigs growing out of it. Ian
I'm guessing that those would be classed as pippy but not all burrs are the same
Burr 01 (Silver Birch; Beech; Oak.jpg

I have one drying out and will likely take a thick slice off with the chainsaw for a small side table top then chuck the remainder on the lathe and see what happens.
Regards
John
IMG_1613 (1).JPG

I'm guessing that those would be classed as pippy but not all burrs are the same
View attachment 113061
I haven’t seen one that wasn’t a mass of small knots do you have any pictures?
Re-Drying due to the nature of the twisted interlocking grain they don’t tend to split, I have dried several just by leaving them alone, woodworm are much more of a problem. Ian

Gaff
This is the first one I have had that was wet just off the tree. Caught in the wild as oposed to buying a dry bit. As Cabinetman says they dont tend to split but I took that one home dripping. Been over a year now so still expect it to be a bit wet inside. I'll work on the year per inch drying rule after cutting it up. Basically treating it the same as any green log for turning execpt I did not paint/seal the ends.
Regards

John

Back