First attempts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickfb

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my first attemps at turning.

IMAG0217.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0217.jpg
    IMAG0217.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,335
Thanks for the positive feed back guys, it means a lot to me.
Blimey Chas just looked at your web site,I have a long way to go :D
My head is just buzzing with ideas. So practice then more practice then even more practice
The 2 little egg cup thingeys are my first attempt at duplication.

Great first efforts and a lot better than mine were, I also think you've got it right when you say practice, practice and a bit more practice.

Steve

'Time spent sleeping, eating or at the lathe is never wasted'

Mick,
Good work, you look like you've taken to it really well, are you using pine? that's harder to start with but good to practice on due to how hard it is to get a good finish, look forward to your future pieces.
Regards Chris.

Hi Chris.
Yes it is redwood 44x44 mm cheap and cheerful. It is difficult to get a finnish on,thank lord for glass paper. Have played with a bit of sapele and that was a lot easier to get a good finish on.
Must say the comments are real boost.
I think being a bench joiner by trade helps it does give you a good understanding of how to work the timber.

Thanks all
Mick

Pretty good for first attempts. I created a fair amount of firewood and kindling during my first few months. Those I kept because I thought they were pretty good are now embarrassing to put it mildly. Stuff from a year ago I find many faults with.

You have obviously discovered that sanding on the outside is easier than the inside. I can see the toolmarks still on the inside of the eggcups. Like everything else, the way to get rid of this stuff comes with time, patience and practice.

If you have the bug like most of us, the practice will be a natural part of having to be forced off the lathe for food, other work and bed.

Great start.

UnicycleBloke":307g9oz3 said:
The egg cups look much better than my first attempts. Still, it was satisfying to eat from my own treen. :)

Al

I assume by your signature you are a Heinlein fan. One of the great Sci-Fi books that one, reread it most years and it still seems fresh.

Pity the man was such a .. Great writer though. Who would have thought though, that he could also do Starship Troopers :shock:

I have seen worse results from turners who have been doing it for much longer. Good to see you doing spindle work as well. By far the best way to start as it gives a much better learning curve for using tools and the control of them. Have a go at making things like dibbers, priests, candlesticks, honey dippers etc as there is no better way of getting experience than in having something to show for it at the end.
Abrasives are also a tool and IMHO a valid way of working with wood such as pine where getting a good finish is possible but not always easy.

Pete

Excellent work for a first attempt, particularly with soft wood.

Now do the same with some good close grain hardwood, and practice on finishing.

I think you may have a pleasant surprise how much easier working hardwood is over softwood. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Great Work. =D> =D>

John. B

Just got a quote to make the house doors wider to get my head through. ;-)

It is so addictive.

Many thanks all. All I have to do is improve.

Mick

Latest posts

Back