First attempt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've had my lathe for nearly 2 years now and its hardly been used, about 7 months ago I started making my first bowl. I did a 2 day course just after I got the lathe where I made a bowl under supervison, but have to say I've forgotten all I learnt.

Today while waiting for a delivery I thought I would spend the time trying to finish my first attempt without supervison.

Now \i know this is nothing like like of the excellent work that has been paraded here, I could only wish to aspire to that craftmanship, but I feel quite excited on the way it turned out, not bad for 7 months. Actually if I added all the hours together it works outat about 4 hours.

Bowl-001.jpg

Bowl-002.jpg

First attempt :!: you could have fooled me. Its good, I like the smooth shape and it looks like you've got an even thickness to the sides.

Keep going and posting the pictures.

What wood is it BTW ?

cd

nice work Waka, no one would have known it was your first if you hadn't mentioned it...

Oil finish?

Now that u've got the hang of it, when's the next one due? ( someone has to try and match Chas' piccie posting :p )

Thanks for the kind words guys.

cd":28gdiyiq said:
What wood is it BTW ?cd

The wood is walnut, make a lot of dust when turning, or maybe my tools aren't as sharp as they could be.

Oldsoke":28gdiyiq said:
Oil finish?

Now that u've got the hang of it, when's the next one due?

The finish is samding sealer and bees wax.
With this takig so long I think it will be a while before I post an more round things.

Nice one Tony, having made one while you are waiting for a delivery you now have no excuse not to turn out another while waiting for the next delivery, glue up, or just mulling the next project over in your mind.

Nice piece, certainly does not look like a first time.
Are you SURE this was first time?
(not that we doubt you, just kidding)
:D :D :D

cd":3pnjiupn said:
it looks like you've got an even thickness to the sides.

cd

CD I love your sense of humour!
by the way, it took me ages to succeed in doing uneven thiknesses thanks to tu use of a modified chuck.
:wink:

Hi Waka,

I reckon that the curved shape you have achieved and the slimness of the side look just right for the piece of walnut you have chosen. It looks excellent for a first effort. :wink:

Remember - turning can become addictive. :twisted:

Cheers,

Trev.

With all this encouragement I've decided to throw anothe blank on the lathe and see what I come out with. Hopefully itwon't be 7 months before I post.

Waka":1e4w6p94 said:
With all this encouragement I've decided to throw anothe blank on the lathe and see what I come out with. Hopefully itwon't be 7 months before I post.
no worries about waiting another 7 months. When you get the virus you will no longer be able to walk away from your lathes. 2 days? that what I think we will have to wait to see another very nice piece of yours. :wink:

Back