First attempt...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tazmaniandevil

Established Member
Reaction score
at a box.
Seeing some of the work posted here, I know I still have a very long way to go. I was sorting through the odd assortment of blanks I have stored in various parts of the garage and found a piece of what I think is oak (t'was in the oak pile at any rate) covered in mould splotches. The ends were side grain and the sides were "as rough as" end grain.
So, I thought. Stick it in a home made chuck and get tore in.
IMG_2795-640.jpg

The bottom is a bit thicker than I would like......
IMG_2793-640.jpg

and I think a bit more sanding would've been in order.
Other than that I'm reasonably happy with it.

Good attempt at tackling what looks like some 'interesting' grain, you've achieved nice thin walls to control weight in proportion to the piece.

I'd be happy to have that on my mantelpiece. Getting the Walls that thin is impressive. I've given up trying to get them like that after so many have split in the end grain area. It looks really good to me.

That looks good Tazzie! As said, not the easiest wood to work with and you should be proud with it!

What did you use to do the hollowing? A spindle gouge? If so then you have done a good job. I wish my first box, never mind my first attempt, was like that?

It doesn't look like oak to me? More along the lines of maple or sycamore? Slightly spalted..

Don't forget to use a good dust mask if you are turning spalted wood of any kind. Looks lovely, but the fungus spores released are not good for you at all! I love turning spalted wood though. You never know just what you will finish up with :mrgreen:

Edit : - I forgot to say. We all had to start from the beginning and anyone who tells you different probably can't talk when they are sat down? Something to do with talking through what they are sat on me-thinks?

Here we go again!! First attempt from a woodturner... and they are almost always amazing. Like this one.
I'm no woodturner (I have a lathe but...) so I couldn't get close to this, but it strikes me that the standard of work in the woodturning section is really very high. It's a bit like a club within the club, isn't it??

Well shucks..... :oops: Thanks for the kind comments folks. I have been practicing for a wee while and have done all the usual candle sticks and bowls, but this is my first for a box. Note to self though, when I collect a load of wood I really should write on it what it is.
Most of the hollowing was done with a round nose scraper and 1/2" spindle gouge. I spent a good while trying to make sure the walls were even, and had to take a bit off the height as it started splintering at the end. I had planned to take a shaving off the outside with the skew to smooth the rough grain a bit, but was too scared it would shatter.

Back