First attempt at sharpening gouges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knappers

Established Member
Reaction score
Following my post where I had bought a new grinder and storme jig, and was asking about grinds, here is my first attempt at turning the Axminster gouges from shop bought grind to something else...
First, bowl gouge:

eb45e58e.jpg

Next, spindle gouge:

e27063e2.jpg

I am sure they are probably nothing like they should be, and would greatly appreciate advice and criticism. Bearing in mind, this was using rough setting up instructions from the wolverine video, and no real idea what I was aiming for...

Si

Si, as Dave said try and you will be better able to discover if they are what you feel comfortable with.
What suits you may not suit anyone else. Even with a Jig you can find a bevel that is for you and you only.
That is what I have found out after many differing grinds.
My 2 euros worth.

There is no 'perfect grind' for lathe tools, what you have there look like users and only use by you will find out if they are what you need or prefer.

Use them with good bevel contact and see if the way you hold them and present them with your preferred tool rest position gives you a clean manageable cut and provides the flexibility of movement you want.

If after a few days/weeks turning you start to feel or see a requirement to change the bevel angels or profile then try to move in that direction.

After a couple of years you will wonder why you ever spent so much time worrying about tool angles and just form the end of the tool to do the job you want it to do.

The one thing I would suggest you do is to grind off the heel on the bowl gouge, so that the primary bevel is a lot shorter, makes it much more manageable getting round the curves on bowls.

You may also find you get on better with a steeper angle on the bevels, but as Chas says try them and see, they are well executed grinds, so just a case of what works in practice for the type of work you do.

Cheers, Paul

am I the only one that thinks the spindle gouge looks like a bowl gouge (not the grind) ? May just be the angle of the image.

other than that I agree with all the other comments - for me the bowl gouge looks to have far too much angle and is more as I have my spindle gouges ground ie the angle is too low (if that makes more sense) but, as others have said, that's just the way I have them.

Latest posts

Back