First attempt at a river table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raw69

Established Member
Reaction score
Sourced a nice piece of oak and had a go at making this, didn’t want to over complicate things so kept the legs simple. Next I’ll attempt to make a cabinet along the same lines with a piece I’ve got left over.

Attachments

• 3CC66E80-3F59-4C3A-AC0E-93EC4C80A3B6.jpeg
    3CC66E80-3F59-4C3A-AC0E-93EC4C80A3B6.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 860
  • B7E8EE4C-D28F-447B-960D-C81283B7A786.jpeg
    B7E8EE4C-D28F-447B-960D-C81283B7A786.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 860
  • D19CF8CA-F087-48AF-9354-68280E6FE5CC.jpeg
    D19CF8CA-F087-48AF-9354-68280E6FE5CC.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 860
  • FF691C3B-EE94-477E-B996-2D0DDAC2AB6C.jpeg
    FF691C3B-EE94-477E-B996-2D0DDAC2AB6C.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 862
  • ADEB558E-5B70-4A63-A086-03482D96144E.jpeg
    ADEB558E-5B70-4A63-A086-03482D96144E.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 861
Really nice top.........but those legs!!!!! Pleeeeeeease have a re-think.

Is there anything under the tabletop giving it support across those junctions? It looks pretty vulnerable.

Yeah I know re legs. Will look to do something else at some stage but can’t decide on what yet. As for support, the table is actually sturdy and for the light use we have planned for it should be ok

I would have a rethink as well.

as the wood will move with the seasons and the epoxy will not it may start to crack along the epoxy/wood butt joint.

I have four 12mm threaded bar cut into my table top and epoxy in to the wood

I'm not convinced by the whole concept of river tables, but that is an excellent meander you have going on. Really nice effect with the sticky-out lump in the middle (would that have been a bole?) For me this one actually works, unlike a lot of others I have seen.

I have just ordered 4 gallons (I assume American) of epoxy for £14.00. That's not a typo! I can not possibly believe that it will turn up as advertised, or even at all, but the nice people in China claim that it has already been dispatched. It is actually the US ebay site, but $7.00 for 2 gallons of epoxy seems an insane price, so I took a punt. My lovely wife, who is the one with the Chinese shopping habit, thought it so much fun she bought two!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2849160558

I know ebay is frowned upon here, but firstly this is not a one-off sale of a single item for bidding, and secondly it is so insanely cheap it is either a scam, or not what is advertised. Anyone wanting to take a punt should at accept the risk, or wait for me to announce what actually turns up - I'm expecting either a Sylvanian Families size Lilliputian gallon, or a bottle of sea-water masquerading as epoxy. Perhaps someone who knows better than me can tell me what I have actually bought, because I can't believe it is really epoxy resin. It claims to be Epox-It 80, which is a pukka US-produced epoxy. I will know more in 6 weeks! (I was looking to buy some from the UK, to be posted to Greece, and just the postage was an extra £100, because of the special treatment needed for dangerous, flammable liquids - Chinese internet companies laugh in the face of EU transport regulations, and offer free postage!).

I think that looks bloody fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Trainee neophyte":3190ox86 said:
......I have just ordered 4 gallons (I assume American) of epoxy for £14.00.........
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 558........

You know that that isn't the same stuff as used to do the thick pour in the above type of table? Yours is for finishing or gluing, and will overheat with disastrous effects if poured in a thick layer.

tomthumbtom8":3cb3iwi8 said:
I would have a rethink as well.

as the wood will move with the seasons and the epoxy will not it may start to crack along the epoxy/wood butt joint.

I have four 12mm threaded bar cut into my table top and epoxy in to the wood

Do you by chance have pictures? Not sure how this would work with a clear middle?

MikeG.":3axez5jf said:
Trainee neophyte":3axez5jf said:
......I have just ordered 4 gallons (I assume American) of epoxy for £14.00.........
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 558........

You know that that isn't the same stuff as used to do the thick pour in the above type of table? Yours is for finishing or gluing, and will overheat with disastrous effects if poured in a thick layer.

No, I didn't know. How thick is "thick"?

My plan is to fibreglass a paddle board - does the term "hot coat" have a whole new meaning here? I went by the following:
Clear Bar & Table Top Epoxy Resin For Coating Wood Tabletops Epox-It 80 is a multi-purpose high gloss clear epoxy resin. Epox-It 80 is used for coating bar tops, tabletops, coating countertops, encapsulation, resin art, resin painting, fiberglass laminating, casting clear models, prototypes, jewelry, figurines, etc..

I know nothing about this stuff, so any advice / safety tips would be more than welcome, because nobody locally has a clue, either. If I spend weeks making a board, only to set fire to it , and the entire workshop by using the wrong epoxy - I'm going to feel more of a Muppet than usual. If it is the wrong stuff - anyone in the market for some cheap epoxy? Only $7.00 for 2 gallons. Postage will be in the hundreds, but safety first!

Well as a first attempt I would say its pretty damn good
Yes the legs could be improved and i like that you have not made the river blue like all the others iI have seen

Trainee neophyte":8hvsg8oj said:

My plan is to fibreglass a paddle board - does the term "hot coat" have a whole new meaning here? I went by the following:
Clear Bar & Table Top Epoxy Resin For Coating Wood Tabletops Epox-It 80 is a multi-purpose high gloss clear epoxy resin. Epox-It 80 is used for coating bar tops, tabletops, coating countertops, encapsulation, resin art, resin painting, fiberglass laminating, casting clear models, prototypes, jewelry, figurines, etc..

I know nothing about this stuff, so any advice / safety tips would be more than welcome, because nobody locally has a clue, either. If I spend weeks making a board, only to set fire to it , and the entire workshop by using the wrong epoxy - I'm going to feel more of a Muppet than usual. If it is the wrong stuff - anyone in the market for some cheap epoxy? Only $7.00 for 2 gallons. Postage will be in the hundreds, but safety first!

For coating like that you should be fine.I'd just get it out of the mixing pot and into a shallow roller tray or similar as soon as you're done stirring. Either that or get it poured onto the surface you're laminating and spread out- either way will keep the heat from the setting reaction from building up and your resin bubbling up. West do a good notched spreader and stiff foam rollers are good to even out once the glass cloth and peel ply is on.

I am not usually a fan of river tables but I like what you have done with the colour of the epoxy and it is way more subtle than the electric blue of some.

I really like hairpin legs but I used to regularly browse Apartment Therapy before I ever thought about joining a woodwork forum, so make of that what you will.

GarF":35m01jr3 said:
Trainee neophyte":35m01jr3 said:

For coating like that you should be fine.I'd just get it out of the mixing pot and into a shallow roller tray or similar as soon as you're done stirring. Either that or get it poured onto the surface you're laminating and spread out- either way will keep the heat from the setting reaction from building up and your resin bubbling up. West do a good notched spreader and stiff foam rollers are good to even out once the glass cloth and peel ply is on.

Thank you, gentlemen, and apologies to the OP for getting off topic (unless the OP also wants to take a punt on epoxy at $7.00 for two gallons - I have no faith that it will actually arrive - it is priced at about $50 per gallon via US outlets, so something has gone badly wrong, somewhere).

I forecast some disturbances at Greek Customs next month (hammer) (hammer)

Edit... Just checked that link, Is it slightly worrying that both jugs have MADE IN USA clearly stamped on them? :roll: :roll:

Trainee neophyte":1996e47v said:
Thank you, gentlemen, and apologies to the OP for getting off topic (unless the OP also wants to take a punt on epoxy at $7.00 for two gallons - I have no faith that it will actually arrive - it is priced at about $50 per gallon via US outlets, so something has gone badly wrong, somewhere).
Product looks kosher, but the price is too suspicious. Checking the seller's feedback on eBay, all the positive reviews come from from members who are "No longer a registered user", then all the recent ones (<6 months) are negative. Smells too much like a scam to me (sadly, as it would be great if it were real).

sploo":4qbz0gau said:
Trainee neophyte":4qbz0gau said:
Product looks kosher, but the price is too suspicious. Checking the seller's feedback on eBay, all the positive reviews come from from members who are "No longer a registered user", then all the recent ones (<6 months) are negative. Smells too much like a scam to me (sadly, as it would be great if it were real).

It has to be other than what it seems to be: either a scam as you say, or the world's smallest "2 gallon" bottle will arrive - I am expecting nail polish or similar. Allegedly, the goods have been posted - what could possibly go wrong? It's more for the fun of it than any serious expectation of getting a bargain. Paid by PayPal, so protection in place, allegedly. 15 bucks well spent just for the entertainment value.

https://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/20 ... /85653129/

Trainee neophyte":otl6aubv said:
sploo":otl6aubv said:
Trainee neophyte":otl6aubv said:

It has to be other than what it seems to be: either a scam as you say, or the world's smallest "2 gallon" bottle will arrive - I am expecting nail polish or similar. Allegedly, the goods have been posted - what could possibly go wrong? It's more for the fun of it than any serious expectation of getting a bargain. Paid by PayPal, so protection in place, allegedly. 15 bucks well spent just for the entertainment value.

https://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/20 ... /85653129/
For the price, and PayPal protection, I was almost tempted on a punt myself!

Latest posts

Back