First air nailer gun kit. Looking for recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Note please, I'm NO expert, and only use my little nailer/stapler very seldom, but it's "Alidli" (can't remember which) and it's fine.

To run it I have a cheapo supermarket compressor, with tank (can't remember how big, & it's out in the garage). The only problem with it is that it's VERY loud - too loud to run in my cellar shop. But in terms of "maintenance", so far (roughly 10 years) none required apart from draining down the tank after every session. This drain valve is a small knurled brass plug under the tank - you just reach underneath, open a couple of turns, wait until all the hissing stops, then close it. That's it.

Perhaps I should add that I use it for spray painting sometimes too, so I added an after market gauge/reducer/water filter. But so far no sign of rust at all (should be inside if at all - if it's outside it's a bit too late!) but last time I shone a bright light up there (plug fully removed) no sign of any rust.

Any help at all?

Thanks, will take a look on eBay. Not great heavy duty nailing, more brads etc. Starting making a kitchen from scratch soon will be using on that

My small compressor came from b&q along with a small nail gun some years ago. I have since purchased a much larger framing nailer and the small compressor still copes with that.
A small compressor is an asset to any small workshop and needs very little maintenance.

GrahamF":10923b72 said:
Plenty of second hand and new "quiet" compressors on ebay and Aim tools sometimes have them in. However, whilst the small ones are fine for pin/brad nailers and blowing tyres up, capacity is too low for spraying or heavy duty nailing. If you're that way inclined, small quiet ones can be diy built with a Danfoss fridge compressor and Calor Gas tank receiver.

This sounds like fun!

Keep your eyes open for a Jun Air compressor. Very quiet, they are expensive new but come up second hand on the bay of fleas for about half the price of a copy that won't last as long. They are heavy but luggable, especially if you put it on a board with casters. No good for spraying but quiet as a mouse and perfect for small air tools. I struggle to detect mine is working it is that quiet. :)

I'm not sure I subscribe to this idea that compressors are "high maintenance" machines - I would go so far as to say a good compressor is basically maintenance free on a hobbyist duty cycle. I have a cooler in-line between the compressor and receiver, so the air that reaches the receiver is nice and dry. Any half-decent compressor should also have a drain at the bottom of the tank (my Clarke one does - their industrial compressors are pretty decent and good value from Machine Mart, particularly with the VAT free offer) - just briefly open this up after use to let the water in the bottom of the tank out. Water, being massively heavier than air, pools in the bottom - no need to blast all that air you've spent a lot of energy compressing back into the atmosphere again. Plus, leaving the receiver charged, for small jobs (like a bit of nailing or checking the car tyres) you don't even have to switch it on if you have a big-ish receiver (mine is 150l) - just open up the outlet valve to your air line.

Latest posts

Back