Firm Fixings in a Plasterboard Wall?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would agree that the best and safest method for fixing a handrail is a ply wood patress behind the plasterboard and screw through. There are number of good plasterboard fixing solutions out there rated with high loading's but a handrail has an ever changing load depending on who uses it and how. This has the potential to introduce movement and once you have lost the integrity of the fixing in the board it can fail, more often than not when its needed the most. I would definitely bite the bullet and install a patress behind.

If you don't want to do any plastering repairs, then why not fix a long piece of wood the whole length of the wall fixed to each stud and grip filled on too, then fix the handrail brackets to that? Obviously if space is limited it might make the stairs a bit tighter.

As has been suggested above, I usually back the plasterboard with a piece of ply. I just cut out a decent sized, convenient square between studs, then insert a piece of ply bigger than the hole, held in place with a couple of drywall screws. Then screw the piece of plasterboard onto the ply, tape and skim.
I cannot plaster with traditional British plaster, but have plastered many rooms using the tape and skim method like the Americans and continentals do. It is easy to get a good finish as you can use multiple thin coats and sand between coats. It's much easier than just cutting a slot and with good jointing tape and compound it is easy to get a good finish.

Cut the hole with something like this: Minotaur Jab Saw 6"
Cover the cuts with self adhesive fibreglass mesh tape, something like this: Diall Fibreglass Mesh Tape White 90m x 50mm
then use several coats of something like this: Knauf Joint Filler Premium - 10kg | Wickes.co.uk
You can use ready mixed, but it tends to be a bit sloppy. When everything is back to how it was, screw your handrail into the ply through the plasterboard.
I am pleased to have learnt a new word today from Garden Shed Projects - patress.

If you really want a good finish you need one of these :), it will drive you insane as well as bankrupt you:
Surface control light STL 450 240V SYSLITE

Plasterboard with a good fixing is far stronger than most people give it credit for, but I would never trust it for something like a handrail where I may need to literally trust my life to it. Do it properly and get some plywood in there attached to the studs, could be a good use for pocket hole screws (plenty of them)?

A technique I have used successfully is to get a dot and dab plasterboard adhesive gun. Make a suitable hole in the board and then use the gun to deposit a big lump of adhesive into the gap between the board and whatever is behind it. You need a fairly solid mix so it stays put, and doesn't just dribble down inside. If the gap is big then you can build it up a layer at a time. Once it has set you have a solid mass to fix into.

Back