Fireworks & dogs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howjoe":2w1919es said:
I don't think this type of restriction is going to lead to ... football ... being banned...........!!

But if it did, could I implore the authorities to try a pilot scheme limited to Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho?

:)

Gill

Don't agree that fireworks should be banned form households. Anyone with children of more than a few years old will probably agree with me. I suspect that the majority of detractors don't have kids.

I spent a wonderful evening with my mate's family. 9 kids in total, all cooing and ohhing over the fireworks whilst we tucked in to good grub and enjoyed good company.

My cat was fine.

Do agree 100% that football should be banned - a worldwide ban would be very nice thank you :) :wink:

Interestingly enough fireworks are banned here in Ireland, and we had non-stop fireworks both here near my house and up the country where I work for the week surrounding 31st October (Guy Fawkes FAILING would not really be seen as a celebration in these part :? )

Despite the ban there seems to be no shortage of fireworks available - and more worryingly they are being sold in non-controlled outlets.

My 2c worth is that proper displays are amazing, some fellow setting off odd sporadic firworks at 5 minute intervals from his back garden just doesn't have the same wow factor.

Les

Despite the sectarian connotations, it's customary for there to be a bonfire and fireworks celebration each 5 Novemeber at RAF Aldergrove, the military part of Belfast International Airport. A few years ago, the passengers on a routine flight from America nearly rioted as they were coming in to land because they thought the airport was in flames! The aircrew hadn't warned the passengers.

Gill

Hi Gill - Nice one! Reminds me of a thread on damaged luggage at airports, one guy posted that as he waited at the carousel he saw his bag arriving with flames comming out of it!!
On a more serious note, we have two Newfoundlands and fireworks are used extensively on New Years Eve (Not on 5th. Nov. obviously) Even 'tho we are five miles from the nearest village they still hear the noise and are frightened. :x Even the Alpha dog is shaking. BTW That's not me, I'm the Zeta dog in this pack :)

Alf":183wlejl said:
Personally I hate fireworks - dunno why, 'cos I don't recall having had any nasty experience of them. Just my natural cowardice I suppose. Would I ban 'em if I could? You betcha. But it wouldn't be for the benefit of the animals; on that basis Culdrose should stop flying over our house 'cos it upsets the parrots, which is daft. Nope, just seems to me lighting black powder all over the place to hurl projectiles into the air is a stupid, unnecessary risk whoever does it. It's an explosive, for heaven's sakes! That anyone who's old enough in years lived (regardless of how much plain sense they exhibit) and with enough cash in their pocket to buy them is allowed to do so is just beyond my comprehension I'm afraid. And don't get me started on giving sparklers to children...

Cheers, Alf

I am with you Alf.

Thank god my kids never asked for fireworks. (its expensive and does only lead to accidents) And yes you can call me borring :wink:

McLuma

Gill":3tfaoyou said:
it's customary for there to be a bonfire and fireworks celebration each 5 Novemeber at RAF Aldergrove, the military part of Belfast International Airport. Gill

" were you out there :?: "

martyn

As one who does professional (albeit unpaid) organised displays I'd love to see firework sales banned to the public. An silly person near us set off a rocket horizontally between the local supermarket and library, across a public foot path. If I'd been walking across there with my 3-year old I might not be telling you about it now.

There's also the question of value-for-money. Shop-bought fireworks look pretty ours generally don't, so more money is spent on the explosives :D

Then there's the equipment you need to fire a display - we get basically a transit full of equipment and explosives - you need a big tube to fire an 8" shell!!

Probably the antithesis of this post, but whenever I buy fireworks, I always use these guys:

http://www.chinesefireworks.co.uk/

The owner, Shay, is an incredibly helpful guy, the prices are great and you can create a display that is like the opening night of the Gulf War for not a lot of money. DAMIKT!

Cheers

Tim

Back