Firewood, now the rules are changing, today’s delivery.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabinetman

Established Member
Reaction score
I have always gone to my local yard – same place I buy all my oak with my trailer to stock up with offcuts for my wood burner and of course they didn’t have any and was told that they wouldn’t be having any more after the end of the month but they could supply larger quantities i.e. not for normal retail. So it arrived this morning and was tipped onto the drive and I’m absolutely delighted a huge pile of it that will take me two days to move to my garage for just under £75 so I thought I would just show you what I got and what I do with it, a lot of it is Douglas fir and it is all wet/green.
8F764D27-8E64-4A58-91CA-7A7D9B0B41C6.jpeg

I have a drying cupboard/kiln? So I arrange it in there so that the air can circulate – a fan and a dehumidifier bring it down to 10 to 12% in about a month.
20D17C2F-3861-4869-A7FB-0A80E33A4C60.jpeg
EE4AB08F-F6D7-4D5E-8D42-D9274E0578C3.jpeg
All the little bits go into these home-made wire gabions (pronounced gay) which with all the big chunky bits go into this undercover outdoor drying area, of course it started to rain ha ha

That looks like a good pile for the cash :)
I really miss my days working in the timber yard,always had a mountain of offcuts mostly hardwoods,3 winters worth stashed away when i left ,sadly all gone now :cry:

I really need a place to store wood. Will save a fortune instead of buying the kiln dried bags from Aldi/Lidl/B&M
I look at them when entering and exiting, and I always wonder, who could afford to heat a house with those?

I look at them when entering and exiting, and I always wonder, who could afford to heat a house with those?

Do people actually heat with them? My impression had always been you use a couple of pieces to get a good bed of embers going so you can then burn the rough stuff since most people don't have the space to really season their firewood so it gets burnt a little on the damp side.

Was told not to use wet wood in the stove by the installer and manufacturer.
When we had the open fire that was a different matter, kiln dried was used at the start then wet wood or good old house coal was used.
Miles easier back with the open fire as you could pick the wet wood and house coal up anywhere.

You shouldn't burn wet wood.

It's not good for the environment or for your stove / flu.

Have have scrap wood one side of the wood store and logs the other. I need to chop some kindling.

Cheers James

I didn't mean wet wood, just not perfectly dry wood, i.e stored in a small log store in a back garden.

Second that book it's excellent! The sweedes/finnish do how a thing or two about fire wood!

Cheers James
Me too- its about the only book I have read cover to cover in the last 5 years - and I don't even have a wood burning fire.

BTW back to the original post, we sell one cubic metre units of Cordwood (previously advertised as firewood)- the customers are well aware the wood must be dried before burning. Customers are happy, we are happy!

There are plans on the web for solar drying using old double glazed patio doors Basically, air gap at bottom and top, sun heats up storage area behind the glass and air pulled in the bottom as area heats up and expels at the top taking dampness with it. You can usually get old double glazing units at little or no cost from suppliers as they have to pay to get rid!

My daughter has made several log stores out of old pallets. The not quite dry or even wet logs go in the store to dry out. I think one standard store needs 5 pallets .. a floor, 2 sides, a back and a top. It is possible to economise by removing a layer of planks if the pallet is double sided. The top is then covered with 'whatever' to give a rainproof roof. There are several plans on a google search. You will most likely need a few odd bits of timber to help construction.
Cheers, Phil

Back