Firewall Settings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I need to find the Windows XP Firewall Settings dialog window to satisfy my Grisoft AVG programme. Can't find the window anywhere. Any clues? Apparently it should be - Start / Settings / Control Panels / Window Firewall . I know where Start is, but that's it. Running XP Pro.

Cheers

Noel

It is on the Network control panel section

Click Start->control panel->network connections->xxx (where xxx is your active network connection - mine is BT Broadband)

Now select properties button near the bottom of the dialog

The firewall settings are on the advanced tab (top of properties dialog)

Have fun :wink:

Sorry Tony, still canny find what I'm looking for. Into Network Connections, highlight my active ISP, either go left and click "change settings" or right click, go into advanced and I get a check option to switch firewall on or off. What I wanted to find was a Win box with tabs - general, exceptions, advanced. I'm off to find the AVG advice sheet.
OK, here it is, PDF doc -
http://guru1a.grisoft.cz/softw/70free/d ... n_70_5.pdf
Maybe the advice sheet shows a different XP version, dunno.
Loaded AVG in Jan 1st, always used Norton, got fed up with it, it got bigger (and more expensive) every year. With AVG I get a lot of mails bounced so thought I'd sort things out before I try paid up version.
If I don't have the firewall box I'm looking for should I just dispense with Windows Firewall and get Zone Alarm or something?
BTW, how do get screen shots or screen capture? Be easier when I seek advice.
TIA

Noel

Noel

Windows XP firewall is diabolical, rubbish, rubbish, a joke, an insult and next to useless. Better with SP2 but not as god as the competition by a long way

However, it is a tiny bit better than nothing.

I actually like and rate Microsoft software very highly - but they are no good at security :wink:

Scrap it and use Zonealarm (or similar). I used Zonealarlm for years but switched to Norton when offered it free with my AV software a few years ago

I use Norton firewall and antivirus and have no problems at all. Also, the cost for keeping it current was really very small at less than £2 per month

OK, I'll go off and find Zone Alarm. Do I switch of my Internet Connection Firewall first or after?
Screen Shots?

Noel

Hi Noely
when connected to the internet an you have the two little computers in the system tray - bottom right of screen next to the clock try right clicking them, that brings up the diaglogue box that has the 'change firewall settings' option for me

Jim

Thanks Jim, but still haven't got the option to change firewall settings, just on or off.

Cheers

Noel

Noel

Don't surf web without ONE firewall of some kind (even XP). These days one is attacked quite regularly I find.

Download Zonealarm and install whilst disconnected from web

I once got attacked on someones system I had just installed in the 30 seconds or so before I got the firewall on (connected and realised it was disabled) :twisted: This is the downside of 1MB broadband :?

Had to spend an hour cleaning incursion stuff (spyware etc.) off of the thing :)

Installed Zone Alarm and have now switched off Windows Firewall. Presume that's ok?

Noel

Tony":3kp83nlk said:
I once got attacked on someones system I had just installed in the 30 seconds or so before I got the firewall on (connected and realised it was disabled) :twisted: This is the downside of 1MB broadband :?

Tony,

If you use a number of machines on the net and build new ones I would recommend a separate box to do the firewalling. I use an old Dell P120 with IPCop installed, it works a treat. IPCop can be downloaded for free here and if you have an old PC it is very cheap and quick to set up. My firewall has already had 1801 hits today and none of then got near my real machine. 8)

Thnaks Dave

Rpoblem highlighted above was down to me; I had just clean instaleld and messed around a bit and then forgot to enable the firewall after installing :(

If you have broadband take the time and money to buy a ADSL router/firewall as they take a lot of beating and require no real security knowledge.

Thanks Mrutty and welcome. Dial-up at present, will be broadband in a couple months.

Noel

Thanks for the welcome. When you're ready to go broadband and need a router feel free to give me a shout it's sadly my job to know about that rubbish :(

That, I will do. Just have to finish building the new office. Cheers.

Noel

I've been using ZoneAlarm for years and have had no problems with it (touch wood). It's a great firewall.

I also have a hardware firewall which stops most of the attempts before it even gets to the computers.

Welcome to the forums mrutty :)

I've just been re looking at firewalls for a customer. The new Draytek 2600 series now comes with a USB port so you can share your printer across two PCs.

Good value at £137 - I'll order one (got the old model at the moment) and chuck a review and screenshots on my website if anyone is interested.

Latest posts

Back