Fireplace Surround

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTR

Established Member
Reaction score
SWMBO wants me to build a mantle / surround like the following:

MANTLE.png

(that's her Sketchup work, btw ;) )

I have a few ideas of how to do it but I think it would be best if I seek the wisdom of the forum first :). Mortice & tennoning three beams together sounds simple enough, but how does one fix it to the wall? She would like the wood to be black walnut or something similar in appearance.

Any suggestions please?

Dave

Re fixing - I think it depends on how much making good you want to do...... french cleat method comes to mind effectively hanging off the wall. Insetting the fittings into the back of the surround should give a tight fit to the wall. If the plaster is out a bit you could scribe the surround to the wall.

Or you could use brass type mirror plates but cranked so that the screws to the wall are then made good with a bit of polyfilla.

I would 'acclimatise' the wood by leaving it near the stove for a few weeks - let it get used to the heat before you finish working it.

Traditionally fire surrounds were fixed to the plastered walls via round headed screws let into the rear of the surround, and a twist of wire around the screw heads - or fixing lugs concealed in the back face and plastered over when fixed.
ATTACH]

Cheers...bosshogg :)

I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.
Albert Einstein (hammer)

Attachments

• fire surround.jpg
    fire surround.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 202
I'd use mirror plates and site them at the top outside corner of the pillars, underneath the mantle top. They are underneath the line of site and so are effectively invisible. Even when you are sitting down they are neat. There is no making good to do and you can take it off easily for decorating or when granny's Postal Order falls down the back.

I've done lots this way:
fire_surround.jpg

S

Whilst accepting that your OP is only a sketch Dave that timber is very close to the stove.

Roy.

Digit":f6du6nxm said:
Whilst accepting that your OP is only a sketch Dave that timber is very close to the stove.

Roy.

Yes, that worried me a bit - woodstoves can chuck out a LOT of heat. There are building regs which specify distances to combustible surfaces. Might be worth checking.

The method I use to attach a fire surround is keyhole slots. I rout a keyhole slot into each side at the top of the uprights and then 'hang' them onto screws in the wall. HTH :wink:

There are building regs which specify distances to combustible surfaces.

225 mm, I've just installed a small stove, 4.5kw and 'it ain't 'arf hot mum!'
Even at greater distance than the 225 mm I'm still keeping a close eye on the Oak surround.

Roy.

I'm guessing that the top piece of the mantle is going to be fairly pricey if you use a solid timber, if it is going to be a big section solid piece (8"x6" for example) could you build a box out of 1" section instead and save some money?

Just a thought.

Thank you for all the replies so far! I like the idea of using buried mirror plates, but if I have to make a box section I like the french cleat method.

Digit":2cez0z9d said:
There are building regs which specify distances to combustible surfaces.

225 mm, I've just installed a small stove, 4.5kw and 'it ain't 'arf hot mum!'
Even at greater distance than the 225 mm I'm still keeping a close eye on the Oak surround.

Roy.

Thanks for the info. I'm surprised that's not more well known, considering that any wally (i.e. me) could go into Homebase and buy a MDF surround and screw it to the wall. Can anyone elaborate on the exact wording please? For what it's worth the stove will be a 2kW electric ( :oops: )

Sorry for the bump but can anyone help with this building regulation? It won't be hard to make this thing legal, but I need to know what's legal first (hammer) . Will the 225mm measurement apply to a 2kW electric stove?

Don't know if were on the right track now.
Electric, fuel burning look alike stoves/heaters will not produce the same amount of latent heat as their fuel burning counterparts, that is to say, the sides, top and bottom will not become as hot, indeed these may be insulated.
I think a quick chat with the manufacturer will provide you with all the answers re any applicable regs and the likes, also they can provide you with details of any optimum surround (presumably this was designed to copy a stand alone wood burning stove?)
Hope this helps...bosshogg :)

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein (hammer)

It's a HETAS reg that applies to solid fuel burners, not AFAIK to electric. I assumed from your OP that it was a wood burner.

Roy.

bosshogg":2t5mr9e9 said:
I think a quick chat with the manufacturer will provide you with all the answers re any applicable regs and the likes, also they can provide you with details of any optimum surround (presumably this was designed to copy a stand alone wood burning stove?)
Hope this helps...bosshogg :)

The obvious solution is often the best one #-o

Digit":2t5mr9e9 said:
I assumed from your OP that it was a wood burner.

Roy.

Yes I should have mentioned that, in hindsight. At the time I didn't think it was relevant.

Thanks for the help chaps :)

Back