Firefox

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, France. Now Corston Malmesbury
I have just found a small but very anoying problem with my Firefox browser. I am not sure when it started, but I've always updated when they are announced. The last one was just recient.

The problem is that on one of the forums I'm one it won't let me click on the option to change my profile and on photobucket it won't let me click on any of the codes, including the IML code to copy so I can paste onto anywhere else.

It's OK on Safari and I can do as I normaly do, so it isn't any setting other than Firefox. I don't want to use Safari any more than I have to. I prefer F/fox.

Any ideas please?

Edit : - The problem is on our MacBook and I have just checked the same situation on our iMac. The browsers are at the same level, 12, and the iMac is OK and I can copy/paste from p/bucket OK. As far as I am awair I have not changed any settings on the MacBook.

Big fan of Firefox. I can only suggest:
  • Checked FF latest updates?
    Switched PC off and off again?
    Run cCleaner?
    Try again in 24hrs?
    Uninstall and reinstall FF?

Firefox ACE best browser there is.
First back up all your favorites, you should do this anyway as to lose them all is like going into space for the first time lol.................i know i lost all mine and i was lost for ages.

Anyway, with that done delete your profiles, go
Code:
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Profiles
. It explains the how to's and it works.

Another way is to go back in time with your registry (restore registry) to and earlier time. For this you have to have some idea when your trouble started. All your personal files will not be touched. If how ever you installed an app last week and you choose a restore point three weeks ago that app will cease to work. You can reinstall though.

I had that on firefox too awhile back. It went eventually. I think it wasn't firefox that was the issue but it was flash. I know that the bit on Photobucket is flash/action script powered when you click and it auto copies the url to the clipboard. Maybe an update/remove unistall of that will work. I think it did for me but it was a long time ago.

stevebuk":1zvi6sev said:
What makes Firefox so good?
I've tried it but much prefer Chrome, which also seems faster to me.
I 'm not sure Firefox is any better than Chrome, it could be worse! For me, Firefox arrived first and it still ticks all my boxes: quick enough, stable, easy, plenty of plug-in choice, with Ubuntu versions, freeware. At the time of change, Firefox was a revelation compared to Internet Explorer, ugh.

Maybe if I used a slower PC, or Firefox bloats badly in the future, then the speed advantages of Chrome could make me change – does that make me a satisfied, lazy, yet open-minded type, and all at the same time!

I find when Firefox gets 'glitchy-twitchy', it's best to take it out and reinstall afresh. I have a sneaking feeling, it doesn't like other browsers on a machine. (Except maybe IE which must be the most underused browser out there!)

I notice that when de-installing Firefox, I get the option to retain or dump settings. I always retain, which keeps all bookmarks/faves, etc. They are reloaded automatically on re-install.

I've never been able to find the actual favourites in the Firefox folder, to save and transfer, like you can with IE.

So I keep a folder into which I copy/drag all book marks, as I make them, from the list. I keep the links in appropriately named folders and copy them to a memory stick, in case I lose them in a PC crash. It's no problem to go to the sites and bookmark them again, I know, but it can take some time! So, if I can't get the bookmarks back into the browser, then I open up the folder, find the link I want and click on it. The browser opens. Bookmark it again. Job Done.

I'm not a fan of Chrome as I am not much fond of Google, especially since they took over the YouTube and littered it with adverts. I tried safari, but it has a strange display, like being in a cinema seat! :mrgreen:

Benchwayze":7t7z7egr said:
I've never been able to find the actual favourites in the Firefox folder, to save and transfer, like you can with IE.
:
Easy way is ...

Bookmarks -> Organize Bookmarks --> File -> Export. Put 'bookmarks.html' wherever you want.

Or (depending on FF version and OS) ...

Bookmarks --> show all bookmarks --> Import and backup Put backup wherever you want.

I must have a different version of Firefox. Unless it's me wot can't understand how the Organise Bookmarks works! Probably the latter! :mrgreen:
(is it just me, or has the UKW site suddenly become sluggish?)

Benchwayze":ylo1ekp2 said:
I must have a different version of Firefox. Unless it's me wot can't understand how the Organise Bookmarks works! Probably the latter! :mrgreen:
Check FF version by Help --> About Firefox.
Are you using Windows, which version??

RogerP":3okqejhh said:
Benchwayze":3okqejhh said:

I'm running XP Roger.
I'll sort it out with Help ...
it's probably me! :D

Benchwayze":3u7susos said:
RogerP":3u7susos said:
Benchwayze":3u7susos said:

I'm running XP Roger.
I'll sort it out with Help ...
it's probably me! :D
Ok John, good luck and let me know if I can help.

Hi John,

Just as a general comment, do you do repair 'permissions' regularly on your Macs? Most problems I have found tend to be sorted once its done. You can either do it with disk utility or I find that the free "leopard cache cleaner' (I still have System 10.5.8) runs all the regular scripts and repairs permissions. They do a freebie for Lion too, just google it.

The systems were designed to be left on all the time and the maintainance scripts I believe, are usually run in the early hours. If the computer is switched off, the scripts don't run.

Worth a try.

Hmm, it just put a smiley instead of the eight in 10.5.8!!

Going back to the original problem, I'm sure Chems is right and the problem is not Firefox itself but the Flash Player plugin. I've just been using Firefox on a different PC without the Flash plugin installed, and Photobucket does not work properly at all. Try Tools>AddOns to show a list of what you have - you maybe have the plugin but with updating disabled and need a manual update of it.

I dunno which John you mean Gordon!
Moi? Probably not. I ain't gotta Mac. So you must mean someone else. :mrgreen:

I think my problem with Firefox is either my Modem, Router or Virginmedia, because my laptop is also very slow in the browser department. Although I just uninstalled 'PC cleaner' and things have improved a little. :?

Benchwayze":2mwa1u3g said:
I dunno which John you mean Gordon!
Moi? Probably not. I ain't gotta Mac. So you must mean someone else. :mrgreen:

I think my problem with Firefox is either my Modem, Router or Virginmedia, because my laptop is also very slow in the browser department. Although I just uninstalled 'PC cleaner' and things have improved a little. :?

I don't talk to you PC people as you undoubtedly know so it must have been the one one residing in Franceland like moi.

Getta Mac and you get instant happiness and the chance to be mates with the likes of Jonzjob and me. Pretty convincing reason I would have thought :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back