Firedoors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

segovia

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have had some 78" fire doors fitted which needed to be cut down to approx 77", the specification of the door says only 10mm can be trimmed from the bottom any more and it looses its fire rating.

Most doors are not exactly 78" or 78" less 10mm.

Is it a cause for concern, whats the norm?

John

segovia":1bixsh72 said:
Hi

I have had some 78" fire doors fitted which needed to be cut down to approx 77", the specification of the door says only 10mm can be trimmed from the bottom any more and it looses its fire rating.

Most doors are not exactly 78" or 78" less 10mm.

Is it a cause for concern, whats the norm?

John

Why don't you phone the manufacturer and ask their technical guys - there must be a reason that they limit trimming to 10mm. If it is to do with the construction, you'd rather know before you start cutting!!

HTH

Steve

Hi

I already called the manufacturer, they say anything more than 10mm invalidates the warranty and the fire certificate but don't give a reason why.

John

Hi
I think I am right in saying most fire doors are made up of a 'core' surrounded with a real wood frame which allows fitting of hinges, lock etc. If you cut off more than the 10mm allowed you may be close to revealing the core and compromising the integrity of the door, not to mention making it hard to fit the furniture.
TBH you are talking about an extra 2.5mm. I doubt it would make such a difference, but it really is your call. How much to replace a fire door?
HTH
Neil

Back