Fire ! Fire !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Exactly a month ago today, I posted this thread about my pyromaniac neighbouring farmer.

Well, in the intervening month, he must have been brooding away and decided he could do better. So mid-morning, he decided to light up another field well away from us. Right next door to a forest of Forestry Commission spruce. Yeah, I know....bit dumb in hindsight.

An hour later, the first fire engine went past. Then the second. Ten minutes later, the big chunky 4x4 ATV. Then five minutes later, the fire chief. Ten more minutes and two more fire engines and the water rescue unit...not sure about that last one...maybe they fancied getting out of lockdown...dunno. They were up there a fair time, though.

What a plonker ! Those engines will have been pulled away from other fire stations. Fingers crossed they weren't needed for, say, a house fire.

By any chance do you have to pay for fire calls? I do and pay extra on my home owners insurance to cover it. With a call that big it would have cost many many thousands of dollars. A big incentive to keep the grass and weeds mowed down. :wink:

Pete

Inspector":2q8fnu11 said:
By any chance do you have to pay for fire calls? I do and pay extra on my home owners insurance to cover it. With a call that big it would have cost many many thousands of dollars. A big incentive to keep the grass and weeds mowed down. :wink:

Pete

I don't believe that he will. But he should do. It's not as if it was an accidental fire.

In any case, I now realise that we have laws about burning and that he was outside the permitted months unless he had a permit (highly unlikely). He's supposed to check for nesting birds...huh, yeah right, as if !

And supposed to have enough people to keep control of the fire. There was just him. Up to a £1000 fine if he's caught.

If I want to burn off the field I have to get permits and have sufficient water and people to fight it. If I don't I can get fined over and above the cost of the firefighting. I'm also responsible for damages to adjacent properties too.

Your neighbour isn't to swift. (homer)

Pete

Inspector":37il2n72 said:
If I want to burn off the field I have to get permits and have sufficient water and people to fight it. If I don't I can get fined over and above the cost of the firefighting. I'm also responsible for damages to adjacent properties too.

Your neighbour isn't to swift. (homer)

Pete

You can say that again. My nickname for him is Baldrick. That might not mean much over there unless you're a Black Adder afficianado.

Back