Fire Extinguishers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smeghead

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I think i ought to have a fire extinguisher in my workshop.
Given that there are wood chips / sawdust and electrical equipment, what would be the right type of extinguisher(s) to have please?
Had a look through the info, but i'm still unsure.
thanks
Chris

I'm not saying I'm right, but I went for powder. It'll make an unholy mess, but it'll save the building. I considered having CO2 as well but never did.

I'd be most interested in other people's thinking.

I have a powder one in the ceiling of my workshop which has the glass vial which should burst setting it off if it detects a fire. The thing is 12” dia and 6 inches deep….hope I never need it

I have a large CO2 and more recently a 2kg Dry Powder. Dry pwder makes an unholy mess if used, my first resort would be CO2. I think that if I were to add it would be a fire blanket. I suppose at a push I might have a shaving/sawdust fire and might need water but I do have very easy/quick access to water, if I didn't then a water/gas may be handy.

I also have both + a water as well......My business insurance company told me I had to have all 3.

It must depend on the insurance company, I have dry powder & CO2 & my insurance company were happy with that, they seemed more interested in making sure I had deadbolts on all the entry doors than anything else lol

I have two of them,one at each end of the workshop so in theory i should be able to get at one of them if needed:)

Unless you have gases in the workshop, then I wouldn't go for powder. A water spray and a co2 will cover classes A,B and electrical between them. Water spray is safe on electrical, but not effective, hence the co2. We only install powders where absolutely necessary, such as boiler rooms.

One thing to be aware of, if you have CO2 don't use it in small areas, it will quickly displace the oxygen and potentially cause you to pass out or worse, keep it near your exit rather than at the back of the workshop

The above point is something to be aware of. Another issue with extinguishers is knowing how to use them and being aware of just what they can achieve. Just how many people have actually used one? I guess thats why the powder one is most common as it is the most silly person proof. I have done plenty of firefighting training but its still a powder one in my shed and kitchen and caravan. Reason for that is it could be someone else has to use it.
In the first few seconds of something catching fire a small extinguisher may actually put it out but dont think of going in there to tackle a large established blaze. The aim is getting yourself and anyone else out.
Regards
John

Unless you have gases in the workshop, then I wouldn't go for powder. A water spray and a co2 will cover classes A,B and electrical between them. Water spray is safe on electrical, but not effective, hence the co2. We only install powders where absolutely necessary, such as boiler rooms.
thanks.
don't have gasses in the workshop at the moment, but do have a gasless welder (upgrade needed) so will probably have gas in it at some point.

The above point is something to be aware of. Another issue with extinguishers is knowing how to use them and being aware of just what they can achieve. Just how many people have actually used one? I guess thats why the powder one is most common as it is the most silly person proof. I have done plenty of firefighting training but its still a powder one in my shed and kitchen and caravan. Reason for that is it could be someone else has to use it.
In the first few seconds of something catching fire a small extinguisher may actually put it out but dont think of going in there to tackle a large established blaze. The aim is getting yourself and anyone else out.
Regards
John
thanks.
the only time anything is in use is if i'm in there, otherwise it's all isolated.
had some extinguisher training but not much.
think it is going to be wise if i have powder, co2 and water and position them near the stuff that could pose a problem.

Back