Fire door regs?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm hanging some doors for a customer in an extension they have just had done, one of the doors is a fire door between the utility room and garage. I don't do this kind of thing much these days so wondered if someone could advise me on the current regs?

The frame is already fitted and the door has been bought by the customer (FD30), the frame is grooved out for intumescent strips which the customer also has. I know all the ironmongery needs to be fire rated/Certifire but I wasn't sure if intumescent hinge pads and latch covers etc were needed in this situation?

Howdens sell kits like this

https://www.howdens.com/hardware/sc...-domestic-safety-pack-obj-sku-family-22303860
Also a question on the closer. I think the customer would prefer a smaller Perko type but since it's in the garage and won't really be seen I was thinking of using an overhead one as they are more controllable etc? Any opinions on this or recommendations?

Thanks, Doug

An architectural supplier should stock sheet intumescent. Usually 300mm sq, easy to cut to hinge leaf and behind both that of frame and door but be warned, it is fragile. Get the door swinging right leaving these pads to last, I glued mine in place with pva. Could be placed behind latch and keep.

Fitted one recently for a friend and he was told it had to be a overhead type and also had to route out a slot for intumescent strip , I’m in the midlands so other areas may stipulate different regs ,, best to check with your local council to avoid extra work. They may also request fire rated hinges, latches etc . Hope this helps .

With the frame already there and you fitting a fire door - this will not give the customer a certified fire door set.

Simply advise your customer of this fact and that whilst you are happy to fit the door to their requirements it will only at best leave them with a deemed compliant fire door and that you will not be able to provide a certification with the work.

If they (or their insurers etc) require a certified fire door set - then I recommend you pass on this job and advise them to engage a qualified and certified installer who will be able to order and install a manufactured/certified door set.

Fire door sets are currently on a 9 to 15 week lead-in.

Just give your local building control a ring, they are the ones who will know what they expect. You will normally need ball bearing hinges but I suspect most people will use these anyway as they are much smoother. Who specified an FD30, will that meet the regs?

Just give your local building control a ring, they are the ones who will know what they expect. You will normally need ball bearing hinges but I suspect most people will use these anyway as they are much smoother. Who specified an FD30, will that meet the regs?

The customer was meant to be asking the building inspector exactly what was required but it hasn't happened, think they are using a private firm. Some of the private firms seem really slack, they hardly ever come out, it's just "Send us a photo."

It said FD30 door with closer on the plans that went to Building control and were approved.

With the frame already there and you fitting a fire door - this will not give the customer a certified fire door set.

Simply advise your customer of this fact and that whilst you are happy to fit the door to their requirements it will only at best leave them with a deemed compliant fire door and that you will not be able to provide a certification with the work.

If they (or their insurers etc) require a certified fire door set - then I recommend you pass on this job and advise them to engage a qualified and certified installer who will be able to order and install a manufactured/certified door set.

Fire door sets are currently on a 9 to 15 week lead-in.

Don't know anything about certified fire door sets, I have always just fitted the fire doors (or doors and frames) and the building inspector has passed them :dunno:

Fire rated furniture and pads are easy to get hold of so use them. A good closer particularly on a garage door will keep it shut which is the most important thing. The ironmongery direct website has some good information.

Back