Finishing Treatment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKen

Reaction score
Hi friends, I am slowly getting to grips with my 2nd Hegner and really appreciate all I have learnt here, both from direct questions and from searches I have done on this forum. I am working on some stuff for g/kids for Christmas and just using some 10mm MDF and I'm wondering for suggestion on finishing the material i.e wax polish, varnish - any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I guess it depends on how old your grandkids are but personally I wouldn't use mdf for anything for children, especially little ones who might put it in their mouth

Its a bit of a minefield with what is safe to use as a finish and again depends on how old they are

Acrylic paint with a lacquer finish perhaps

I agree about the issues with MDF. It's loaded with chemicals, which many of us prefer to use with some caution.............. not to mention the dust! In terms of strength and stability, it resembles cardboard.

I'm sure that some will disagree, but I used it once for some kitchen work....never again.

Thanks guys, I should have said that these kids are all well up and what I'm doing are just name plates. MDF is great for a few things and I'm aware of the dangers but this was an offcut that I just wanted to do this first wee project with and it has certainly been a good learning things. Will take those suggestions, thanks!

Back