Finishing Teak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartpaul

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just finished making a rather nice (even if I do say so myself!!) teak box. I tend to use varnishes a lot as with our kids everything gets a fair mauling and I need a long lasting finish.

I put a coat of satin varnish on and almost 2 days later it's still tacky. I know it's not a problem with the varnish as I've used the same batch before and it's dried fine. I wonder if it's something to do with the oil content of the teak? Will it just take a long time to dry or is something more radical involved?

Anybody got any experience with finishing teak and any suggestions that doesn't involve nitromors!!

It's the oil in the wood. I always oil teak on the odd occasion that I use it. Not sure of a remedy but would suggest leaving the box in a warm room until the varnish has fully set then rubbing down and waxing.

Jason

Day 5 and still not fully dry! :(

I reckon it'll get there eventually. When it does is it possible to apply any other finish on top (apart from wax)? I usually apply at least 3 coats of varnish but I'm not prepared to put any more on this, - if I do it'll be an antique before it's properly finished!!

I'm thinking one of the oils or similar.

Back