Finishing teak for relatively extreme climate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnb

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just bought a couple of teak benches (I would have built it myself but I doubt I could even buy the necessary teak at even two or three times the price!) and want to finish them for the climate here in eastern France.

By relatively extreme the following may give some indication: we had six weeks of snow this winter; we usually have at least one week in winter with night-time temperatures of -15C to -20C with the corresponding day-time temperatures around -5C to -1C; in the summer we often have a week or more of temperatures of 30C-35C; the rainfall is probably comparable to the Lake District.

The benches will be in an orchard so in at least partial shade for six months or so. The orchard has a clay soil which turns very muddy in wet.

I'm planning to give the benches several coats of teak oil (and then a coat annually thereafter). I'm wondering whether it is worth soaking the leg ends in antifungus/insect treatment to help cut down on rot (once or annually). A concrete standing is not possible but I'm wondering about metal spikes to help keep them standing in watererlogged soil. It won't be possible to bring them in over winter but "plastic tarpaulin" covers are possible.

OK, I know it is cruelty to wood, but is there anything else I can sensibly do to prolong the life of the benches?

Teak is an excellent wood for outdoors in its natural state. Have you considered not finishing it, and leaving it to weather?

Back