Finishing sanders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aebersold

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All
I’m looking to purchase a finishing sander.
I am a diy furniture maker and do not restore or refurbish.
Working with hardwoods/veneers, my timber is dimensioned using saws and planer, is then hand planed to remove planer scallops then jointed/moulded etc. I would assume that’s pretty much the same process that most of you guys follow ?
For the sanding up until now has been made using a half sheet sander made by a manufacturer I’ve not heard of since purchasing from an auction many years ago called Felisatti. Great tool, heavy and produces a fine quality finish which invariably gets an osmo coating, but unfortunately it has no dust collection. To overcome this I hold a 120mm extraction hose close by.
I’ve read many discussions on here, but most involve ROS sanders which are round and therefore do not do corners, so am I missing something as most furniture has corners ?
I have a Festool vac. and a rts400 and have been looking at a Festool Rs200eq half sheet sander which I think has now been discontinued, although I’ve located one. However, it’s close to 500quid ! So, if there are any furniture makers out there who have experience of my type of work and requirement and can offer some advice, options or a loan, I’d be most grateful ! Alex
image.jpg

I think the ROS's are in the ascendancy these days because they can remove material faster than a sheet sander. Having said that, there are still a number of 1/2 sheet and palm sanders on the market to suit all pockets and which all have dust extraction.
Like you I have a half sheet sander which is a Hitachi (with dust extraction) and does a very good job, but it has been supplanted by a Metabo ROS with a DeWalt palm sander for getting in the corners, or if it's a really tight corner I also have a Bosch multitool which takes those small triangular hook and loop sheets.
The other development in my workshop is a change to Abranet for the ROS which improves dust extraction. For the 1/2 sheet and palm sanders I cut my own sheets from 115mm rolls, including punching out extraction holes - a lot cheaper than the Abranet.
Brian

1/3 and 1/2 sheet sanders are considered to be DIY sand the walls tools these days. The build quality of most reflects this. Generally people use a detail sander which has a triangular pad for corners. You can still get Felisatti kit. solent tools do spares so may be a starting point. also the newest acatalogue can be found here but is from 2014 You can get them on Amazon as well.

The best sanders are all £500 and up unfortunately, Mirka and Festool being the most popular but Bosch doing some good machines too

hth

I think the ROS's are in the ascendancy these days because they can remove material faster than a sheet sander. Having said that, there are still a number of 1/2 sheet and palm sanders on the market to suit all pockets and which all have dust extraction.
Like you I have a half sheet sander which is a Hitachi (with dust extraction) and does a very good job, but it has been supplanted by a Metabo ROS with a DeWalt palm sander for getting in the corners, or if it's a really tight corner I also have a Bosch multitool which takes those small triangular hook and loop sheets.
The other development in my workshop is a change to Abranet for the ROS which improves dust extraction. For the 1/2 sheet and palm sanders I cut my own sheets from 115mm rolls, including punching out extraction holes - a lot cheaper than the Abranet.
Brian
Thanks Brian, like you I have just introduced myself to abranet with my rts400. It’s a revelation, with fantastic dust dust extraction, longer pad life and improved material removal. This is what has inspired me to move on with a larger version. I’ll take a look at metabo, as they seem to excel according to reports with sanders.

1/3 and 1/2 sheet sanders are considered to be DIY sand the walls tools these days. The build quality of most reflects this. Generally people use a detail sander which has a triangular pad for corners. You can still get Felisatti kit. solent tools do spares so may be a starting point. also the newest acatalogue can be found here but is from 2014 You can get them on Amazon as well.

The best sanders are all £500 and up unfortunately, Mirka and Festool being the most popular but Bosch doing some good machines too

hth

I didn’t realise felisatti were still available. Looked on their website and the tool still has no dust extraction ! Both the mirka and Festool seem to be well regarded, but it’s so hard to evaluate the cheaper options without experience of them. Thanks, Alex

I have just bought an air powered orbital sander for peanuts. It is a joy to use, weighs nothing at all, and does a great job. The downside is the compressor is right next to me, and is 3hp, running continually. It uses the compressed air to work as a dust extraction system, but I'm not convinced. Luckily I have the option to work outside and a 30 meter air line.

So if you wanted to see what all the fuss is about with orbital sanders, and you already have a compressor, £50 should get you something to dip a toe in the water.

I have just bought an air powered orbital sander for peanuts. It is a joy to use, weighs nothing at all, and does a great job. The downside is the compressor is right next to me, and is 3hp, running continually. It uses the compressed air to work as a dust extraction system, but I'm not convinced. Luckily I have the option to work outside and a 30 meter air line.

So if you wanted to see what all the fuss is about with orbital sanders, and you already have a compressor, £50 should get you something to dip a toe in the water.
Thanks Trainee, I do have a compressor in another w’shop but really don’t want the noise and lack of instant use. A shame actually as the air tool versions are usually quite a bit cheaper.

I have a Makita 1/2 sheet sander......
it does the donkey work and a triangular detail sander does the delicate n corner work.....
I found that Japanese tools over the years are fairly priced and very good quality......
I only buy mains powered Japanese electric hand tools now
Battery, am now using Milwaukee tools as the old stuff wears out....

The Mirka Deros is a popular high end tool, but does have mixed reviews. There’s a copy version in existence too.

This video may interest you:

The Mirka Deros is a popular high end tool, but does have mixed reviews. There’s a copy version in existence too.

This video may interest you:
That looks pretty impressive in comparison. Not sure, hell really sure I'll not be looking to replace my festool with the mirka any time soon.
I think with the Hyvst (or equivalent) you could rewire in a better longer cable without too many problems, the hose, well how many hoses you got ? :LOL: so i think that wont constitute a problem either.

Did anyone notice in the price comparison page that Axminster has the mirka, like most at £400 about, but the 'dulux decorator center' is asking an extremely cheeky £536.63. That is a ridiculously high extra mark up they've added on. Sod knows how they can up with the £XX6.63 bit :unsure:

Last edited:
So you have hand planed your timber and cut your mouldings as you said, so what do you want to sand it for? I make furniture and buy a small amount of abrasives every other year? It’s just for taking the arris off sometimes, if your plane is sharp and used properly it should leave a shiny finish to your wood, so why dull it with scratches? Ian

I have a Makita 1/2 sheet sander......
it does the donkey work and a triangular detail sander does the delicate n corner work.....
I found that Japanese tools over the years are fairly priced and very good quality......
I only buy mains powered Japanese electric hand tools now
Battery, am now using Milwaukee tools as the old stuff wears out....
I agree the Makita tools are great workhorses and good vfm. I only sand in my workshop so stick to corded. Ya.

So you have hand planed your timber and cut your mouldings as you said, so what do you want to sand it for? I make furniture and buy a small amount of abrasives every other year? It’s just for taking the arris off sometimes, if your plane is sharp and used properly it should leave a shiny finish to your wood, so why dull it with scratches? Ian
Take your point Ian, I am aware that the plane leaves the best possible finish but veneered panels need a light sand and maybe my planing is not up to muster as sometimes on larger areas I get a few small tracks. I’m definitely not looking to hog off loads of material, just a light sand with 240/320G with a small 2.5mm orbit for a uniform consistent finish.

I have got a DeWalt 20v ROS which I use with my 18v batteries. It has a fairly standard 3mm orbit so is good for finishing, is very well built and is serving me very well so far. I use it mainly for hardwoods and veneers as you described. Think you can pick them up for around £100 without a battery.

If you have existing DeWalt tools it could be worth a shot.

Long term I want a rotex for faster material removal but for now the DeWalt is proving to be an excellent budget tool.

Attachments

• 20210429_163145.jpg
    20210429_163145.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 13
Interesting video Raymien especially as the mirka was on the radar. Thanks.

You're welcome. Peter Millard (a member on here) has a couple of videos on the topic too if you have a look through his 10 minute workshop channel.

I'm in a similar boat and want to upgrade a 20+ year old Bosch ROS, and am tempted by the Hyvst. As Peter points out in his videos, the only real sticking point is warranty and future repairs etc. Because of that I'm tempted by the Metabo SXE 450 instead as it's a similar price point.

The Mirka Deros look nice but I recently bought a DeWALT DWE6423 125mm Random Orbit Sander and am very happy with it. I like the 5" size rather than 6"
For corners I hand sand using Mirka Abranet sanding blocks with dust extraction.

Last edited:
You're welcome. Peter Millard (a member on here) has a couple of videos on the topic too if you have a look through his 10 minute workshop channel.

I'm in a similar boat and want to upgrade a 20+ year old Bosch ROS, and am tempted by the Hyvst. As Peter points out in his videos, the only real sticking point is warranty and future repairs etc. Because of that I'm tempted by the Metabo SXE 450 instead as it's a similar price point.
It was my Hyvst sander that Keith was using in that video! There's a very similar Sealey branded version that's not much more than I paid for the Hyvst, after shipping etc... that won't have the warranty concerns. It's a great sander, been using it regularly since buying it without any issues, and was using it today. 👍

I have got a DeWalt 20v ROS which I use with my 18v batteries. It has a fairly standard 3mm orbit so is good for finishing, is very well built and is serving me very well so far. I use it mainly for hardwoods and veneers as you described. Think you can pick them up for around £100 without a battery.

If you have existing DeWalt tools it could be worth a shot.

Long term I want a rotex for faster material removal but for now the DeWalt is proving to be an excellent budget tool.
That looks a useful option Danst. and with the 3mm travel is ideal for finishing birch ply which like veneer it only needs light sanding usually. I have an rts400 which looks quite similar in size, bought on Mr Millards recommendation and it’s brilliant with fantastic dust collection. Just looking for a bigger version. Thanks

Back