Finishing oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys. I need some advice. I make quite a few different things using a scroll saw. I am doing very well with name signs, these measure approx 10 inches long and about 2 inches high. Because of the demand I am looking for a quicker finish, they are all make from 20mm thick hardwoods and previously i have been using a shellac sealer and then about 4 coats of spray on lacquer. On some other items I dip them in finishing oil as this really does bring the grain out. I was wondering that when dry if I could spray finish with the lacquer on top of the oil finish. Comments would be much appreciated.

Geoff.

Try it on an off cut. Potentially there could be a problem with crazing but that will depend on how much oil sits on the surface. Hard finishes on top of softer finishes are problematic. The soft layer underneath moves around causing the harder, brittle surface finish to crack.

if you want to use non-compatible layers, then put a coat of shellac in between, it acts as a natural binder. I have done oil to pop the grain, then shellac, then poly varnish for hardwearing, and turned out great.

+1 for try on test piece first.

Many thanks guys. Much appreciated. I think I will stick with the shellac sealer and the clear lacquer spray, be a lot safer i think.

Back