• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Finishing oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

dannyr

Established Member
Reaction score
just seen this thread --- wow -- those are beautiful objects Robert - I hope you're keeping them - look good in that room.
I wonder if Hepworth or Brancusi saw such.

RobertCarter

Reaction score
Yes, they are stunning. I have sent pictures to a Company in Venice who used to make them in order find out the process. They are finished with mineral oil diluted 4:1 with turpentine (this they called straw oil, I know not why!). They are signed by Carli, 1961, (Giuseppe) who was apparently the last of a long line of masters carvers of forcola (Gondola rowlocks). Anyway, they are now sanded and ready for oiling (see below). Unfortunately, they are not owned by me; I have been asked to restore them, not something I normally do but they are spectacular. I will put the final pictures up on Instagram (@poshrobcom). Best, Rob.
IMG_4136.JPG
IMG_4135.JPG

RobertCarter

Reaction score
Yes, they are stunning. I have sent pictures to a Company in Venice who used to make them in order find out the process. They are finished with mineral oil diluted 4:1 with turpentine (this they called straw oil, I know not why!). They are signed by Carli, 1961, (Giuseppe) who was apparently the last of a long line of masters carvers of forcola (Gondola rowlocks). Anyway, they are now sanded and ready for oiling (see below). Unfortunately, they are not owned by me; I have been asked to restore them, not something I normally do but they are spectacular. I will put the final pictures up on Instagram (@poshrobcom). Best, Rob.
View attachment 94921View attachment 94922
Having said all that, I might try and make some of my own or thereabouts!

Anthraquinone

Established Member
Reaction score
For the toys I make I have always used a thin water white food safe mineral oil I get from a local oil merchant. It dries over a day or so and oly cost about £3 / liter. Cheap enough to have a pail of it to fully immerse the wood in for a quick soak.

Droogs

Is that chisel shar ... Ow
Reaction score
They have turned out fantastically richard, you must be well chuffed with them. Hope the client does too

RobertCarter

Reaction score
Who's Richard? Did you mean me?
Yes, they are wonderful I really don't want to give them back but I must. I shall call the Client today.... later on!
Best, Robert.

Droogs

Is that chisel shar ... Ow
Reaction score
Who's Richard? Did you mean me?
Yes, they are wonderful I really don't want to give them back but I must. I shall call the Client today.... later on!
Best, Robert.
Yes sorry brainfart on my part, I know a richard carter :rolleyes:

Latest posts