Finishing oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just seen this thread --- wow -- those are beautiful objects Robert - I hope you're keeping them - look good in that room.
I wonder if Hepworth or Brancusi saw such.

Yes, they are stunning. I have sent pictures to a Company in Venice who used to make them in order find out the process. They are finished with mineral oil diluted 4:1 with turpentine (this they called straw oil, I know not why!). They are signed by Carli, 1961, (Giuseppe) who was apparently the last of a long line of masters carvers of forcola (Gondola rowlocks). Anyway, they are now sanded and ready for oiling (see below). Unfortunately, they are not owned by me; I have been asked to restore them, not something I normally do but they are spectacular. I will put the final pictures up on Instagram (@poshrobcom). Best, Rob.
IMG_4136.JPG
IMG_4135.JPG

Yes, they are stunning. I have sent pictures to a Company in Venice who used to make them in order find out the process. They are finished with mineral oil diluted 4:1 with turpentine (this they called straw oil, I know not why!). They are signed by Carli, 1961, (Giuseppe) who was apparently the last of a long line of masters carvers of forcola (Gondola rowlocks). Anyway, they are now sanded and ready for oiling (see below). Unfortunately, they are not owned by me; I have been asked to restore them, not something I normally do but they are spectacular. I will put the final pictures up on Instagram (@poshrobcom). Best, Rob.
View attachment 94921View attachment 94922
Having said all that, I might try and make some of my own or thereabouts!

For the toys I make I have always used a thin water white food safe mineral oil I get from a local oil merchant. It dries over a day or so and oly cost about £3 / liter. Cheap enough to have a pail of it to fully immerse the wood in for a quick soak.

They have turned out fantastically richard, you must be well chuffed with them. Hope the client does too

Who's Richard? Did you mean me?
Yes, they are wonderful I really don't want to give them back but I must. I shall call the Client today.... later on!
Best, Robert.

Who's Richard? Did you mean me?
Yes, they are wonderful I really don't want to give them back but I must. I shall call the Client today.... later on!
Best, Robert.
Yes sorry brainfart on my part, I know a richard carter :rolleyes:

Back