Finishing Oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For real durability it's hard to beat the Sikkens range (avaliable from most places like Travis Perkins etc. and if you want a clear coat rather than a stain/pigmented variety you could use the Sirca products http://www.morrells-woodfinishes.com/Joinery.pdf

I can speak for Sikkens having used it. I have not used the Sirca stuff but I have used a lot of other Morrells stuff and it's good.

You can also leave oak to weather to a silvery grey without any finish at all. Don't forget that for outside furniture you need to use waterproof glue and it's best to pin your joints.

Not used it on oak, but i've done all my garden furniture with Rustins "Garden Furniture Oil" - i think it contains some additional additives for outdoor use but goes on just like danish oil.

I've a tin of danish oil - can't remember the make - that suggests a plastic pan scourer for applying the final coat.

As for the wire wool, I was under the impression that it is OK for most timbers, its just oak that is the problem as it reacts to iron/steel...same with screws and nails

m

I always use 1200 grit between coats and 000 before final coat, I also use a tack cloth before applying anything, works for me :D

Back