finishing oak table top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have just made a large oak table - my first ever woodwork project and am pleased with the result. At present it is finished with a coat of boiled linseed oil, two applications of paste wood filler and then several coats of shellac.

Question is how shoudl I rub it, and with what as a lubricant?

Also I have managed to make a couple of very small tables out of the off-cuts, I want to inlay some silver nickel stringing - what is the best tool to cut out the grooves for the inlay - very shallow - 0.5mm?

Welcome to the forum, miff.

Rubbing out is probably best dealt with by more accomplished finishers than I (although there may be something in the archives)

As regards inlay there's a pretty good thread here. More recently Andy's been looking into it.

Cheers, Alf

A Scratch stock is the recognized way to go. The diagram on the thread that Alf posted illustrates how the cutter should be sharpened.

My own experience was only of moderate success as I was trying to cut a rather wide (about 3mm) and deep groove (also about 3mm) both with and against the grain in oak and the results were not good. With the grain was fine but my cutter was not accurately ground enough to cut smoothly against the grain. With a little perseverance I am sure I could have improved the result. I gave up and bought a 1/4" router (the small Trend one) then changed the design of the project (a box) so did not use it.

A google search on for scratch stock should give you lots of ideas on how to make one. I had a Veritas Beading tool and spare cutters which seemed ideal but you can make one quite easily.

Andy

For inlays, a small router will work very nicely - Trend T3 for instance

Back