Finishing Oak Desktop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattChow

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon chaps. The working from home fun of the current times has resulted in the desk needing an upgrade.

Ive got a chunky bare oak slab in place now but I don't know how to finish it. I'm trying to get a similar look to some book cases that I already have and I assume they have a varnish or wax on them.

What would be the finnish you guys recommend?

Picy of the two surfaces. Unfinished it at the bottom:
20200630-130348.jpg

Fiddes Hardwax Oil (or the Cosmo equivalent), three or four thin coats, I've used it on two desks, excellently long lasting and resistant to hot drinks and alcohol.

Excellent, cheers.

I take it it i go for light oak tint it will get me close to the other stuff in the photo?

Whats the real world coverage like? The top is 2.1 x 0.62m (its worktop...), would that be a 250ml pot or likely to be better to go for a 1l pot?

I think a 250 ml pot would be fine. Put it on thinly with nibbing between coats (I use 600 grit for that but it doesn't need to be quite so fine). The first coat takes the most.

I am personally not a fan of tinted finishes. In my experience they tend to be a bit streaky, but that is probably me. I prefer to use a wood dye first to get the tint that I want, let it dry, maybe another coat of not dark enough, fine abrasive to denib, then start the finish. Test piece recommended.

Thanks chaps, I used the Osmo Satin Hard Wax and I'm really happy with it.

The finish has come up lovely and even using a microfiber car detailing pad for application and the 600 grit denib as mentioned above.

MusicMan":2juzefne said:
No you didn't. Not unless there's a pic!

Difficult to get in text if you seriously don't believe me or if you just want a pic? :shock:

the first rule of ukwksps is - you don't talk about shar... No that's not it. Oh yeah, no pic, then it didn't happen :)

Obviously its not a patch on what you guys with real skill do as essentially its just 4 legs screwed to a bit of kitchen worktop. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know my level :D

Walkersman":3senf4nm said:
Do you get any problem with it bowing, or do you have some discrete beams underneath to add strength?

I actually posted about that in another thread as it was a concern before I did it. No bowing so far. If it does bow I will route 25mm angle into the bottom off it so that its hidden.

I've just finished a kitchen for a client and they have bought two large walnut tables, slab top on hairpin legs no apron or metal inset. One of the tables must be 2.5 meters and round, its perfectly flat! The only thing both table tops have are small channel cuts on the underside ( like they use in flooring) which I guess is helping with tension.....time will tell if they stay flat.
11e3f50eaf56a48bc92d1c5bd0766871.jpg

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back