Finishing MDF (the face, not the the "fluffy" edge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt

Established Member
Reaction score
Lots of threads about the fluffy edges but what about the face...

In the past I have used MDF primer with reasonable success but I'm wondering whether I can improve on the finish/application by using something like this: http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Rustins-Rustins-MDF-Sealer-22684.htm

My current thinking for the current project is:

MDF door panels: Sealer > Normal undercoat* > Eggshell**.
MDF carcass: Sealer > water based quick drying varnish.

* Or should I use the MDF primer?
** Not a fan of eggshell. Much prefer quick drying, less smelly paints that can be cleaned up with water. Any suggestions?

Cheers

I've had no problems using Sikkens Rubbol BL applied with a foam roller onto bare MDF. It's available in Gloss and Matt as well as Eggshell along with a matching primer. It is water based (the only matt water based paint that I could find) so dries quickly and doesn't smell.

Only place I could find the matt was here:

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/searc ... ol&x=0&y=0

although my local builder merchants sells the eggshell.

Andrew

I like Rustins' water-based sealer and have used it plenty of times on MDF without any trouble. The good thing about this stuff is that the MDF doesn't instantly suck it up as it would with any spirit or cellulose-based sealers.

Plenty of waterbased quick dry eggshells available, though I prefer oilbased. Also eggshel is self undercoating so no point in using U/C.

For colours I use one coat Dulux Trade quick dry primer/undercoat and two of oil based eggshel, extra P/U if white.

What MDF are yoiu using as this will have a bearing on how easily it finishes, above is what I use on MR MDF.

Jason

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm using normal MDF (i.e. not MR).

Jason, I'm slightly confused. You say that eggshell does not need undercoat but then say that you use primer/undercoat for colours? Is that essentially for the primer?

Thats right, one coat of primer/undercoat to prime then two of the eggshell, because the eggshell has a matt surface a second coat will bond to the first unlike gloss.

The green of the MR MDF tends to show through too much if the finish is white so its 1ct P/U to prime, 1ct P/U to thicken the base and hide any areas or corners that got rubbed through when denibbing then two of the white eggshell.

Jason

Back