Finishing engraving ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Thrax

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try my hand at engraving with a router (T3), but what should I use to finish the work piece off, wax might build up in the engraving so should I use a gloss varnish instead. The stain I'll be using will be one of the excellent Chestnut range of spirit stains. ?

Dr. T,

What will the engraving be? Letters, a bold design, like a Celtic knot or something more delicate? What is the piece, a wall plate, chair, small box? I think the selection of the finish will be influenced by these things. :shock:

I am not a fan of gloss varnish. :x I think you stand as much chance of a build up of varnish in the engraving as you do wax, but wax will be much easier to remove than varnish.

I hope it turns out OK, what's the chance of a picture, please, I would love to see what you are making. :D

The work piece will be a lid of a jewelry box I'm making for my wife. The wood I'll be working with as a trial is pine, just to get myself used to engraving, but the final piece will be oak. The engraving will be of a red kite (bird of prey) in full flight. There are loads flying above my home everyday so I took a picture of one gliding in the air, used paint shop pro to trace the contour & turn it into a line drawing and will use an engraving guide to guide the T3, rather than trying freehand for now and yes I'll post a picture when done. And I'll give wax a try as I'm not keen on gloss varnish as it happens. I look forward to it as it is yet another new area in woodworking for me :)

Flattery will get you everywhere!

Using the wax really shouldn't be a problem; assuming it's ours (most others are similar but avoid the ones designed for furniture use only, they're too slow drying) the trick is to apply the wax with a soft brush, then polish up soon after (about 30 seconds) with a stiffer brush. This will ensure that any surplus wax is removed by the stiffer bristles and this is easier to do before it dries hard.
A second coat can be applied if you wish in much the same way, leaving about fifteen minutes between coats.

Shoe brushes are good for this job, although we also supply bristle brushes that are slightly better as the bristle is specially chosen and gives the very best results.
(I know what you're thinking, :? but there really is a difference!)

Hi Terry, I presume Woodwax 22 clear would be best to use as I'm going to use one of your stains for this project but could I use a Chestnut brush in a powerdrill or might it be better to use a hand brush in case of wearing down the engraving ?

Hi again

The choice of colour depends on the stain you're using. If it's a 'rainbow colour plus' then clear is ideal; if it's a wood stain you might want to use a tinted wax to add extra tone to the colour. If the colour is as you want it then stick with the clear, it's a more universal choice.

The choice of brush is also up to you. The bristles shouldn't wear down the engraving, the wood would have to be very soft for that to happen so I'm open to extra information on that one. (The drill brushes use a slightly softer bristle anyway to take the force into account).
The drill brushes are great for large areas or if you're going to be doing a lot of buffing but for a one off they might not be cost effective; they last a long time if you're planning a lot of this type of work but otherwise I'd be tempted to use hand power and save the money!
Are you going to use a sealer over the stain? I'd recommend our acrylics (especially the aerosol version) although you can go straight on with the wax. Make sure the stain has dried thoroughly though.
(Sorry, I have a habit of stating the obvious!)

Thanks for all the info! Yes I'll be sealing before the wax goes on and I'll try 'hand power' first of all and take it from there.

Cheers.

Terry Smart":3dcmrkw6 said:
Shoe brushes are good for this job, although we also supply bristle brushes that are slightly better as the bristle is specially chosen and gives the very best results.
(I know what you're thinking, :? but there really is a difference!)

Well Terry, when I get to meet you I will buy one of your brushes, until then the shoe brushes rule OK :roll:

Latest posts

Back