Finishing end grain - how do you get it the same colour

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

This has probably been asked 100 times but what is the best way to stain or oil end grain and to get it the same colour as the rest of the piece?

Any recommendations on books for finishing?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Paul

Paul,
Basically you need to restrict the capacity of the end grain to absorb too much finish/stain. This is done in a variety of ways used singly or in combination. Simply using a finer grit to sand it, "sizing" it by applying a watered down PVA glue or hide glue, before applying the finish/stain, wiping the appropriate solvent for the finish (eg water or oil) on the end grain before applying the finish - all these will do the trick of evening out variations between end grain and face grain colouration. As always, test on scraps first.

As to books, check Amazon for anything by Flexner, Jewitt or Dresdner, they are all very good. I think the latter two have the newest books but Flexner is till bang up to date.

I just wanted to say thank you Chris for the advice. I do appreciate it.

Kindest regards

Paul

Thanks Trev but I have just ordered the new Jeff Jewitt one. Having seen yours, I hope that I'm not going to be disappointed.

Kindest regards

Paul

Back