Finishing Burr Elm Pen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'd like to pick your collective brains if I may. My search function fu is failing me!
I have some burr elm pen blanks, but they are very pitted, split etc, as I guess all burrs are. I'd like a gloss finish on the pens, I usually go with CA or melamine lacquer, but how would you guys approach it? Do you leave the wood in its natural state, or would you attempt to fill the imperfections? If so with what?. The first one I did was filled with epoxy before finishing but it was a right faff and quite time consuming. Any tips or alternatives?
Thanks all. :D

i think that whatever you fill with, it will be time consuming. I have just done some pippy oak with shellac stick and it certainly wasnt quick!

Personally, I favour leaving it with a narural surface, after all, as you suggest, burrs have a naturally fissured surface and for me that is part of their charm. As to finish, I gave just discovered Tru Oil gun stock finish and think it would be perfect for pens. Two or three very thin coats applied with a cloth and you have a beautiful surface. It dries quickly too. Available from gun shops or on the internet; it seems very expensive but goes a long way. Buy the smallest size as it lasts about a year in the bottle.

Jim

Thanks for your thoughts guys.
I guess it is always going to be time consuming to fill, but I am just impatient! :lol:
I have used Tru Oil before on instruments so I am familiar with it, but hadn't thought about using it in this scenario. May be worth a try.

you have a few options-
metal powder and CA/epoxy (brass looks nice with elm)
Just CA
Stone powders and CA/epoxy
or you could send them to me and i'll cast them in resin for you which will fill all of the fissures and cracks :wink:

Hmm, I hadn't thought of just CA as a filler. And I quite like the idea of metal powder.
Thanks for the casting offer, but I don't think it warrants that as it is just a few cheapy blanks to try to learn some skills on. Having said that, I've seen some of your creations in resin so I may badger you in the future!
Cheers.

Back