Finishing advise needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philiphugoryan

Reaction score
Hiya,

First post of many I am sure. I have just completed a veneered American black walnut kitchen and for the finish I applied shellac sealer and the 2 coats of water based lacquer. Obviously that has been a big mistake as the lacquer is now peeling off. My question is if I rub back the water based lacquer to the shellac is there any lacquer that I can put over the top that will adhere and also be hard wearing enough for a kitchen. I have been told a pre-cat will work but it is now installed in the clients house and I would prefer to avoid something with those sort of fumes. Any information would be greatly appreciated

Regards
Philip

Cutting back just to the sanding sealer sounds ambitious, it's a banker's bet that in some areas you'll go right through and be back to bare wood. With the outcome you've had I'd have a big question mark over all the products used, so I'd aim to completely remove all the finish and replace.

If you want to avoid fumes it's tempting to use water based pu varnishes, but all my testing leads me to conclude they're not the best choice for table surfaces as they're very vulnerable to fruit juice and red wine stains. In fact even Osmo outperforms water based pu in this respect.

This is a moderately priced pu water base varnish with where a wine glass was left for 1 minute, 10 minutes, and 1 hour
Wine-Test-One-Hour-01.jpg

This is the same test with a premium priced water based pu varnish
Wine-Test-One-Hour-02.jpg

And here's the same test with Osmo PolyX,
Wine-Test-One-Hour-04.jpg

Attachments

• Wine-Test-One-Hour-01.jpg
    Wine-Test-One-Hour-01.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 255
  • Wine-Test-One-Hour-02.jpg
    Wine-Test-One-Hour-02.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 254