Finishing advice for wooden pens

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spasm

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

looking for some advice on finishing for wooden pens turned on the lathe, any advice would be useful. i want a hard wearing sheen finish.

spasm

I used Friction Polish. Comes up like gloss and I was impressed with how it's lasted. On a pen for my Granny which she uses daily it was still just as good over a year later! It will wear gradually over time.

EDIT: I also use Renaissance wax - thin coat over the top of the whole pen once assembled. Helps protect the parts and resists fingerprints.

I always use Hutt wax, it's made for pens, use the brown stick for a matt finish and the white stick on top if you want gloss.
The best advice I can give other than that recommendation is to sand them properly personally I use abranet to 600 grit then some coloured pad things I got from Turners Workshop which go down to 12000 grit. With these on dense woods and plastics you can achieve a high gloss without wax so the wax is purely for protection.

Hi Rob
give the CA/BLO method a go. three coats will give you a nice finish without being too plastiky and a bit of hut pen polish to finish.
thats what this one is finished with....
dodge.jpg

i follow johns method of application, here ...http://www.woodturned.co.uk/html/blo-ca_finnish.html

(BTW pound shop CA is fine :) )
nev

Hi guys,
First finish I liked was BLO/CA 3 coats glue did get to like the finish, and if I needed to it would be my second choice for oak, pens as its very good at filling in the long grain if there is any, the finish I’ve found or I prefer is chestnut finishing oil then a coat of Hut crystal coat. I can’t think why I didn’t make pens before as they make a good present/gift.

Spasm

Latest posts

Back