Finishing a hardwood ply router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stimpy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey up folks,

Getting there with this router table of mine.. Was going to use regular green Moisture resistant mdf but when I rushed down to the builders just before Christmas they were clean out so purchased some generic hardwood ply, not ideal but hey ho..

So I'd like to put some sort of finish on the unit for protection / increase longevity and also to aid materials sliding along. Ideally I don't want to colour it / yellow it and don't want glossy, so satin or matt...

I have some old evil floor varnish somewhere, probably still got some non evil junkers stuff too somewhere though I think that yellowed if I remember correctly. Then I've got the usual oils but they yellow, may have some osmo satin on site now I think of it, and have some furniture wax...

What sayeth you folks??..

Thanks

If its slippery and hard wearing you want, consider hardboard; smooth, cheap and cheerful; glue, recessed pins or staples to fix (so it doesn't scratch your projects) Personally I have sacrificial ply tops, but mine are more general purpose so have to put up with metal, timber and epoxy work. A bit pricey, but have you considered epoxy? (dont use on ply that may delaminate)
Bob

Thanks Bob. Can't stand hardboard and it is generally unreliable - it would also mess up my heights etc - so a no go there.

I had thought about epoxy, but figured I didn't want to bother with the mess, but then I guess it's not that much harder to do than other paint finishes..

I suspect that my best plan is probably to iron on some ?melamine? type stuff on the top edge as per most router tables...

Hmmm... I shall think further!.. ( As at least the table will work straight away as is)...

Better than melamine would be a sheet of tufnol.

https://www.directplastics.co.uk/tu...QD0-LBH1SP6Lo3e8LpZP8wfv7Zj0HLSBoCQR8QAvD_BwE
Glued down with contact adhesive or polymer adhesive.

Cheers James

Thanks James,

Certainly looks to have the right spec. Had a chat with sales and the only issue it would seem is that folk have had problems bonding it ( probably incorrectly mind) but for me the issue is they only do pooh brown! I should probably get over it as the ply wood is basically brown also... She did mention regular PVC also that they do in a grey...

Shall have to have a think...

With regards to trimming the plastic, would the material blunt my router bits? If say I glued it then used a trimmer with a bearing...

You can get melamine thats got a bit of texture on it, rather than super smooth. Seems to aid gliding over the surface. I've some on my bandsaw over table.
No idea what it's referred as though,sorry.

You can get melamine thats got a bit of texture on it, rather than super smooth. Seems to aid gliding over the surface. I've some on my bandsaw over table.
No idea what it's referred as though,sorry.
This sounds suitable I'd say. Do you have a link at all where you purchased from? If not I'll do a search later... ( Currently trying to avoid paperwork but must get back to it.... Aaarrgghhhh)

I got it from an ebay seller, a formica board company, well over 2 years ago, cant find the feedback so i dont know who exactly.

Thanks mate. Have done a few searches and found some formica only in wider sizes. Still trying to confirm the glue on melamine options if I can get the widths as most just sell edge banding up to 50mm...

Latest posts

Back