Finished the Spalted Monkey Puzzle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Perrin

Established Member
Reaction score
Decided to go with Danish Oil for the finish on the bowl
4 Coats then hand polished once the oil was dry
Vic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 933
phil.p":1es453tt said:
:? where's the other picture? :)

I took them off Phil, photpgraphy is not really my thing (I can't even spell it) and the other photos were really not doing the bowl justice.

:oops: Vic :oops:

phil.p":1weigh67 said:
It's lovely - is it as dirty to turn as I've read it is? Did you turn it dry or green?

Phil, I brought a complete tree from a tree surgeon about 2 - 3 years ago that yielded about 20 branch wood sections up to 20" diam. It had only been down about 2 months when I got it and it was soaking wet. The first job I done was to remove all of the bark from each section and end seal the sections. That was a bloody awful job. I then stacked it and covered it,and over the 2-3 years kept turning it around in the stack ensuring it got a good supply of air going around it during this stage some of it started to spalt.

I did turn a couple of the larger sections wet to speed up the drying process one of them was 20" diam x 8" it came out really nice but I lost that one to my son.

When wet it is a bit messy to turn but if you strip the bark of by hand first it is not as bad.

The piece I have just done was one of the smaller diams and although not completely dry it turned well. You have to go steady when hollowing out as the brach wood tends to be a bit tough.

Vic

Top class , that is a beautiful bowl in its own right ,lovely shape and curve. But the grain makes it look like it has been painted .
I really think that it is fantastic , hope you show more of these Thank you .

That's stunning Vic mate one of your best thank You For Showing it =D> =D> =D> =D>
regards
Bill

Back