Finished Coffee Table....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone....

Below are a few pics of my latest project, sorry about the pic quality, as they have been taken on my phone :roll:

deluxecoffee.jpg

Top View

deluxecoffee2.jpg

Side View

deluxecoffee3.jpg

Open Drawer

It is made from 100year old reclaimed mahogany that i got....it took alot of work to get it from this

mahog.jpg

to a decent standard :roll: :shock: the dimensions of that mahog are 9"wide and 3" deep :shock:

The middle part of the top is maple, and the drawer is made from solid pine (including the base) and a mahog face on it....

Mortice 'n' Tennoned rails to legs, err...

I think that is about it :D

Any questoins/suggestions please post :)

Ta

Tom

Tom

That is one very nice table and the contrasting woods work really well for me :D

Good job! The mitres are very crisp looking and I love the constrasts.
How did you allow for expansion of the maple panel in the end?
What finish did you use? And the mahogany looks quite dark - is it stained??

Proper job, Tom. Like Aragorn I'd like to know how you decided to accommodate expansion in the end, And what the finish is, natch. :wink:

I think I've got a chronic case of mahogany envy, btw... :( :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Very nice! :D
Excellent! :D
Good combination of light and dark wood. :D
The camera - can only be a Nokia! :twisted:
send it back. :D

thanks for all the kind words......

I have a confession to make about the expanding/shrinking thing :?.....

I decided to just leave it....buuuutttt.....that was a dreadful mistake....the panel has shrunk about 1cm all the way around....

One mitre has also come undone a tiny bit....

So i am going to fix the mitre and put a bit of beading over the gap :? that'll allow for expansion if needed....hopefully...:p

Ta,

Tom

Very nice work Tom, sorry to hear about your shrinkage problem

But would a beeding not ruin the flat smooth surface look ?

Mcluma- Ive managed to track down some really thin stuff, about 2mm thick with a nice neat bevel on the edges....that shouldn't look too out of place...

Trouble is however i bought it for the coffee table, but i have just about finished another project (TV Unit) and i used that for a bit of edging :oops: :roll: so have to buy even more! :roll:

I am going to post pics a little later of the tv unit, but my digicam is playing up so it might have to be my phone again :evil:

Ta

Tom

Hold on tom hold on

I know what to do

Will be a bit more work but it will work trust me

OK take a nice piece of stock maybe a different colour of wood

take the router and run along the edges of the inlay a nice 1 cm grove of about 5 mil deep, then lay inthere the new inlay beeding with the edges slightly beveld, also bevel the remaining edges on the table, then lay the new stock in the groove with nice mitres and bob is your uncle

I would suggest to use a nice poly glue to withstand the moistere attack from spilled drinks etc

I always say if you cannot hide it, expose it (flunck it)

Well to take up the shrinkage problem and to still have a nice decorative touch, it could be anything between 1 and 10 mm,

I would do a 10mm beeding(infill) as this can then be beveled on either sides

Back