Finished Box...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have made a jewelry box and the actual box inside has a very un-neat edge where i have put a small cushion in the bottom and put felt round the insides of the box.

And where the felt has been cut it has left a rather un-neat edge (kind of frayed a bit)

So what can i do to hide this...or fix it but i can't be bothered to re-do it all :roll: :D

Any suggestions?

Ta

Tom

tom did you use sticky back felt it cuts better than the cloth type and makes for a neater job .

Tom,
If you haven't already fixed it in, you could try folding
the least amount over and ironing it flat. Or.......
get some braiding and apply it along the seams.
On the other hand, if your proud of your box,
re-do it with the sticky back pla....err...felt.

TX

Could you nail/pin/glue a small section of hardwood around the inside lip of the box at the top to hide the felt? Cut the felt back from the top by 5mm, add a 10mm strip of hardwood flush with the top of the box (rebated to accept the felt by 5mm if possible) and voila - a decorative feature :shock: The strip only has to be 5mm thick so shouldnt take up too much of the internal space (in theory). ie your strip should be 10mm tall/deep, 5mm thick, with a 1-2mm rebate 5mm tall in the back 10mm edge to acccept the felt so it fits flush with the existing wooden side of the jewellery box.

When working with such small stock though, cut the rebate on the edge of a larger piece then cut to the desired thickness on the bandsaw. Much easier than trying to mould thin sections of timber.

Steve.

thanks for the tips,

I just used the normal felt and glued it on :oops:

I might re-do it with the sticky back stuff,

About the wood strip, 'tis a good idea but i don't have a bandsaw and i don't want to risk my little fingers :roll: :p

I was having a think and thought maybe a strip of fabric of some sort around the edge would fix it :?:

Ta

Tom

Well here it is, nothing much though,

box.JPG

Walnut box front, pine everywhere else. Felt inside with a little cushion :D ....a lock....and thats about it :roll:

Ta

Tom

Well done tom,
I see what you mean now,
i think Stevie B's idea is the way to go, if you've got some
Walnut offcut. I don't think the extra fabric would add to
the look.

TX
(who didn't make a box at all :oops: )

Latest posts

Back