Finished bookcase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to finishing this for the missus. It was the first project that I made using all the various mechanical gizmos such as planer, thicknesser, router table and bench morticer. It would have been done in one tenth the time, I reckon, if I used hand tools !!

The design was chosen to compliment a couple of antique Chinese tables that she had. Because she wanted it painted I could 'cheat' and use softwood :wink:

bookcase_2.jpg

The emphasis was on 'lightness' and those with a sharp eye will see that I slightly overdid this judging by the slight sag in the middle shelf due to the bookload! The legs have a slight taper on two sides and I used this as an opportunity to play around with a taper jig on the thicknesser. All joints are mortice and tenon.

The profile of the top was done partly with Aragorns' masterly CAD diagram (see my other thread on that) but also I again took the easy option and did part as a sandwich.

bookcase_1.jpg

The next long-term project is this bench that I rather liked in Paris

parisbench.jpg

Hi rsinden.

Really like the look of the bookcase, looks good in white as well. Can't see any sag from the photo so it can't be that bad. The bench looks like it should be a good project as well. Just wish some of mine come out as good.

All the best

Neil

Good piece of work, I think the moulding added a lot to it. :D

The bench looks interesting, quite long spans on short legs choice of timber should be fun. :eek:

Ah. Mcluma, you spotted my cunning plan. Yup...I think the conversation went something like ...

Me...I'm thinking of making the drawers like this one (pointing to dovetail inset drawers on dining room cabinet)

Wife...well, if it's not going to be too much work...if you'd like to do it...if you'll learn a new skill......

enter...slightly used Woodrat!

Roger

Latest posts

Back