Finished At Last

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llangatwgnedd

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I started the doors beginning of the New Year and finally hung them today not enough hours in the day at the moment.
This is my first attempt at making internal doors. all joints are haunch m/t
All pine courtesy of B&Q what rubbish wood they sell

IMG_0008.jpg

The pony cramps are a joy to use and the threaded bar from Axminster was just right for this job as the overall height of the doors was 85"
So I am slowly replacing the Parmo cramps that keep falling apart (damn pins) with Pony heads.
One day I'll get around finishing the work bench :roll:

The finished result

Nice new airing cupboard doors stained and waxed
No more noise from the boiler firing up now 8)

IMG_0024.jpg

Nice job, SDP. And in the face of B&Q pine, a triumph of woodworker over materials :D

Sawdust Producer":30qa8dli said:
the Parmo cramps that keep falling apart (damn pins)
Replace the pins with bolts. Works for me.

Cheers, Alf

wow, I didn't think I liked pine.... and from B&Q!

Very nicely done. It just goes to show that sometimes you can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Gill

Lovely work SP. Those doors sure do sit nicely against that chest next to them.

Nice job.

I too would be interested to know what finish you used.

Gav

Thanks for your comments.
Pete, Gav the stain was water based, antique pine flavour by The Rocking Chair Co Swansea,The bottle their own stains.
The wax is stripped pine by Fiddes of Cardiff.

Chris the stain went on pretty easy and no blotching, I did wipe it over first with a damp rag the stain I think is re-badge Fiddes.

http://www.fiddes.co.uk/pages/product/wooddye/pinewaterdye.htm

Alf every time I use those clamps I say to myself "must get bolts and wingnuts for these" but never do.

Cheer

I think the only way to get some decent softwood is to make an effort to find a builder (enquire around) who does loft work and uses skips.

Then make a pleasant request if you can take the timber out of his skips and if he would let you know where his jobs are located.

The timber that is over 20 years old is well seasoned and if the properties are much older the wood was better quality in those days.

You will most probably need a bandsaw to cut this timber its usually over 3 or 4 inches.

Still you made a good job with the knotty stuff

Back