• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Finish over acrylic paint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Noggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
Good morning all, I am just finishing a couple of plywood items for my niece's birthday and I have painted them with acrylic paint, cutting back between coats. One of them is a name plate for her door, which will not be handled much, but the other is a name jigsaw and I was thinking that this may well benefit from a protective coat or two. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I ended up working all weekend, so I'm two days behind and it's her birthday tomorrow, so it will need to be reasonably quick drying.

Thanks,

Noggsy

twothumbs

Established Member
Reaction score
I know the date has passed but acrylic is pretty bomb proof and used as a primer to overcoat in 'something' else, ie going from ooil to water based. Tubes or small jars of artists acrylic paint may have been a possible. Dries quickly so you would need to thin it a bit. Some really cheap tubes around. Best wishes.

Noggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
Cheers Twothumbs. I ended up using an acrylic Matt lacquer from Chestnut which worked brilliantly. Acrylic definitely needs some practice and I did have to thin it a bit with water, but I'm pretty pleased with the results.