finish on red oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean_in_limerick

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys - i am in the middle of building a kitchen and need some advice on potential finishes. I am considering using http://www.rustins.co.uk/product.htm?chgprod=AVC

I have kids running around so i need low-odour and a tough finish. The wood is red-oak and i don't want to stain it, so i would go for the clear finish.

Has anybody tried this?

Thanks

Sean

Sean,
Never tried this one but I see no reason why it should be better or worse than a dozen similar finishes. They are fine for kitchen use. But as they are water based be prepared for some sanding and best, some pre-wetting to raise the grain and sand before using them.

With red oak which has a very open pore structure, you will need lots of coats to fill the grain if that is your intention - or just accept that the pores will remain visible in the finish.

strange you should say that wh37, i just watched an episode of nyw where Norm sprayed water onto some (white, i think), oak before sanding and applying a finish. I will try this on a test piece to see how it looks. Thanks for the tip.

Sean

Back