Finish on box gone milky

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billw

The Tattooed One
Reaction score
This isn't one of mine (clearly, since it's not terrible) but I noticed that the finish on one side has started to go a bit milky white and wondered what would have caused it? I'm not sure what the finish is, but whatever it is is ultra-smooth to the point where the box feels like it's made of plastic.

IMG_9395.jpg

Agreed. And if the finish was some form of cellulose, then that is particularly prone to what's calling "blushing" - quite common if it was applied in a somewhat humid atmosphere.

WARNING: I know nothing about finishing such fine wood as that piece obviously is, but IF the finish was cellulose-based it's SOMETIMES possible to repair it by finely spraying (or VERY fine brushing) it over with neat cellulose thinners.

But whether or not that would work/be safe on that nice piece of wood shown I have NO idea, sorry.

Maybe it's a resin coated finish, given your description, this will also go milky white if the wood was not very dry.

I’d best just leave it to be safe. Not sure how it’s happened as it’s not been kept anywhere particularly humid or wet.

thanks for the insight though!

If it's cellulose bloom then a rub down and re coat is probably the only cure on a clearcoat unfortunately. No experience whatever of using this finish on wood, but sprayed a lot of cars with it, and others are spot on that it's caused by moisture. You really should always use anti bloom thinners, just to be on the safe side. If you want to test for reaction then if the bottom is finished in the same way could you maybe test there to see what happens.

Back